• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Memoriam to his uncle - WO2 Jimmy Horne, WWII RCAF Observer

Started by lastvautour, March 08, 2016, 07:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Finally visited the local museum to see the newly painted Lancaster.

Lou

lastvautour

Looks pretty good.

Kenny Horne

Beautiful shots Lou,

To be able to get up so close and personal to such great aircraft is such an honour.  What is the story behind LQ-J?  The background shows an interesting bunch of other great CAF planes. 

All the best,
Kenny

ps,
My diorama is slowly getting along.  I have purchased (white metal from England OO scale railroad characters) and have painted them.  Waiting for replacement decals from Hannants for the Lancaster.  About to build the pedestal and the wooden base, though not quite sure of the final details so have been dragging my feet a bit...

Kenny Horne

Progress shots.

The foam model is a bit of a mock up of the scene.  The push pins represent people, the block is the stone information plaque/stand/thingie.   There will be a family of three, the stone, a park bench and an airman and his bike.  The poor woman appears sightless, though I assure you she closed her eyes lest I get paint in them :-)  1/72 people are VERY small...

Kenny

lastvautour

Avro Lancaster III (JB226 LQ-G) on a mission to Ludwigshafen on 1943-11-18

On Wednesday, 17 November 1943, (a part of) the aircraft of the 405 squadron (RCAF), took off for a mission to Ludwigshafen in Germany from a station (airfield) in or near Gransden Lodge.
One of the crew members was Flight Sergeant R H Larson RCAF. He departed for his mission at 17:30.
He flew with a Avro Lancaster (type III, with serial JB226 and code LQ-G). His mission and of the other crew members was planned for Thursday, 18 November 1943

The aircraft was lost on that mission.
Lou

lastvautour

Your display is going to be fantastic. I will look at doing something similar in future. For now, keep those pictures coming.

Lou

Will

Kenny,
The mock-up shows this will be a very effective piece of art.  I look forward to seeing the finished work.

Thanks too for your old time airplane magazine website.  Coming across the prototype Spitfire article led me to SMM and revived an interest in occasionally building models in a different  way to plastic.

Cheers
Will

lastvautour

Did you get those decals yet? What is he brand and sheet number?

Lou

lastvautour