• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Air-Toons

Started by lastvautour, August 18, 2009, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buccfan

Looking good Dave, did you put the angled stabilator into a straight slot on you Goshawk?. Regards Paul.

dave_t

Yes, I used a straight slot, but had to flatten the mid section of the stabilizer so it would fit. I have never cut a single piece "bent" wing  before, so I made it overly thick and gradually pared down the shape, to allow for "mistakes" along the way. It worked out.

buccfan

I thought you might have flattened it to go in, thanks Dave, regards Paul.

dave_t

Paul, I don't know if you have a bench hook, you might want to think about making at least one. They are easy to construct from spare wood and can be made in many sizes. I use them when planing and also carving smaller and awkwardly shaped parts where I want to keep my hand away from the chisel blade. I glue and then screw them together, just for added strength. See photo-

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10129/Bench-hooks.jpg

lastvautour

Excellent carving Dave. Good idea to let Paul know about some tricks of the trade. I use mine all the time.

Lou

buccfan

Hello Dave, no I don't have any yet but I will have soon, they look to help you chisel and plane away from yourself without fingers being in the way. I have some leftover plywood in the workshop. Your T45 look a very nice piece of carving. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Formation spraying white base coat before adding red.

Lou
PS It is easier to prime and sand first before adding bits and pieces.

dave_t

Looking great Lou.

dave_t

Not finished, but close-

lastvautour

Awesome Stuka Dave. Are your wings one piece or were the dihedral/anhedral break cut and glued?

Lou

dave_t

It is a cut wing. I definitely have not mastered the one-piece wing yet.

buccfan

Looking great Lou, mine may get a rattle can coat of primer but top coat will be with a hairy stick as I don't have an airbrush. Have to agree with Lou, your Stuka looks excellent Dave, are the canopy frames cut out or added on top?.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

This is a hairy stick application using Testor's Model Master acrylic Guard Red. I never heard of hairy sticks before. It took me a while to figure it out. The damaged Hawk is an intake trunk that was several mm out of whack. I could have hidden the flaw by using camera angles, but alas I would know!!! The putty (sanded) and paint has been reapplied and the second coat will go on tonight. Next will be decals which in this case should be easy as it is white stripping and RAF Decals.

Lou

Balsabasher

You probably know this already  but just in case not here is how these lovely miniatures were first created,there was an artist called 'Wren' who did sketches and drawings for the original aeroplane magazine during 1946 onwards,these were labelled 'Oddentification' and formed the basis of early aircraft identification with the amusing twist of a character aeroplane as the basis of the exercise,solid model kits done by Astral were even done of them and booklets available see here  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ODDENTIFICATION-WREN-64-Drawings-Aeroplane-RARE-/160522865910
Lous delightful miniatures are keeping the traditions of these models alive and preserving a piece of social history at the same time,I wonder if any plans still survive for those Astral kits ? they would make for interesting additions to these contemporary models.
Also to complete this story a Japanese plastic company in recent years copied them making a series called  'Egg planes' subjects included the Hellcat and Avenger,they are quite sought after.
Barry.