• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Air-Toons

Started by lastvautour, August 18, 2009, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buccfan

It was a right place right time moment Lou, I hope it's raining there tomorrow and you don't have company ;D.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

Pat Cherry has drawn a CF-101B and an RF-101C. Both will make excellent AirToons.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31186322@N06/5953493696/in/contacts/
Lou

buccfan

I've not been on there before Lou,but I have been on the website, some good ideas there,I like the look of the Super Tucano for future reference as well. I have done some more work on the two Hawks,but no time for pics today. I will post a progress report tomorrow. What is the best method for resharpening chisels? Regards Paul J.

buccfan

Hi Lou,Here's where I am today with both builds, the Hawk 200 needs some more work at the back end with parachute box and fin to cut. The Hawk 100 is ready for flap arms,wing tip launchers, fences and smurfs etc.  They are both only dry assembled at the moment. I used the notch method for the tailplane on the 100, and the slot method on the 200 because of the extras at the back,I may have to add a small tailpipe yet, as below the tailplane is narrow due to the slot.

If I decided to fit the flap arms and smurfs etc after priming and sanding,what glue would you recommend for fixing them on?Regards, Paul J.

lastvautour

Those are great Hawks Paul. I used white Carpenter's glue for the major assemblies and gel superglue for the flap hinge fairings. We called the upper fuselage intakes "Mouse Ears" while you call them "Smurfs". Different strokes for different folks. I wonder what other countries call them. Regardless, wonderful work on those Hawks.

Lou

buccfan

Hi Lou, glad you like them, I'm enjoying making them, it's not the mouse ears that I call smurfs, it's the fins just underneath and forward of the tailplane, it stands for Side Mounted Unit Root Fin, hence the Smurf, that is what they were shortened to as the other was hard to remember. I shall use white glue as well for the major assembly work, and I'll have to get some gel superglue for the other bits.
            I think I might try some of this paper for the decals,http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/.Dry-Rub-Off-Decal-Paper_159.htm
I have some of the waterslide decal paper for inkjet printers but this looked as it could be a bit easier as they don't need sealing before fitting.There is a demo video to watch. Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

My latest AirToon is a repeat of the F-18. I added plastic 1/48 scale Phantom II tail pipes but the rest is a solid project.

Lou

buccfan

I think that using the tailpipes was a good idea Lou, I imagine it would save a lot of work shaping them. An update on my (slow) progress to date. I have glued both Hawks together, filled and sanded the joints and first coat primed for MORE sanding, I think I have found the bit of this project I'm not so excited about!!!!!!!!!. The parachute box will go on the 200 after sanding before final paint.

I have a bit more sanding to do on the other side of the Hawk 200 as I was spraying outside because of the smell and spray and a small fly decided it wanted painting and landed for a coat of grey primer. While trying to remove said fly I made a right mess of the whole side. So it will probably have to be sanded back to wood again.

Anyhow here's a pic of my progress, Paul J.

Balsabasher

Ahh... you have drawn the dreaded pesky painting critters towards you Paul ! they will insist on landing on wet paint and wriggling around as they get trapped on the surface,wasps too seem to be attracted by the smell of paint as well and this week I got bitten on the leg by one which was probably high on the fumes.

By the way I always spray outside as the fumes get everywhere in the home including the fridge,I once knew someone who lived at the bottom ground floor of some flats and was doping a model one day,the fumes went right through the flats and the people had to evacuate while it cleared,he was not very popular.

Barry.

buccfan

I think I will always be spraying outside as well Barry, I brought them in the workshop to dry and the fumes were still strong just from that later in the day, I managed to keep the hover flies away while I sprayed,but only just. It certainly seems to draw them in. Luckily it is only the primer I'm spraying,top coats will be a hairy stick application. Regards Paul J.

buccfan

Another progress report, spent some time today making flap arms,wing fences,strakes, smurfs , wing launchers,and a centerline baggage/fuel tank for the T2,also two of the electronic winders for the T2 and a pitot tube and housing.
I have sanded both aircraft with sanding sponges ready for another coat of primer,a bit more on the 200 series to remove flying insect removal damage.
Just a couple of questions Lou, is it best to fit all the fences flap arms etc now to primer them with the aircraft or after the next coat?,and when you made the rwr fairing for the CT-155 did you put a slot/groove in the back to sit on the fin,or flatten the fin edge for it to sit in ?, regards Paul J.

lastvautour

For the fins, they were sanded flat to match the fuselage contour and provide the proper angles. I would recommend you add the extras before your last primer application.

Lou

buccfan

Just a quick Hawk update, all fairings strakes, fences etc glued on with Zap gel, I was impressed with the glue as you get a bit of wiggle time for positioning if the bits are out slightly. All I need now is a day without bugs,wind and rain to spray the second primer coat. I could be waiting a while the way the weather is at the moment.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

They look fantastic with all the gear hanging. You can add as much or a little detail as you wish when doing AirToons. You are doing great.

Lou

buccfan

Thank for the encouragement Lou, I must say it's very therapeutic  making these models, time just flies when I get started. I have made the decals for the RAF T2, but have yet to do them for the 200 series. It look as though it could be the camo Indonesian version, but still not sure.Regards Paul J.