• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Air-Toons

Started by lastvautour, August 18, 2009, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Thank you Barry. It is refreshing to do the AirToons.

Lou

Ken Pugh

Nicely done, Lou.  They look great against the sky.

Ken Pugh

lastvautour

Thanks Ken. They were a pleasure to build. You suggested the aerobatic team group build in 2008 but no one took you up on it.

Lou

Ken Pugh

I will get one done some day.  Lots of stuff I want to build.

Ken Pugh

Balsabasher

These are lovely,I can see the unique Fleet Shadower fitted with four Pobjoy engines oin the table,well done guys in promoting our wonderful hobby in this way.

And that chubby B-17 is really quite cute,the scope is as far as your own imagination for subjects,and we can select anything that takes our fancy,keep up the good work there.

Barry.

buccfan

Lou, just a quick post to let you know I have made a start, I have cut out the main parts,I had to use my jigsaw as I can't get to my bandsaw at the moment for timber and tools. I will finish off shaping them in my next window of opportunity. One thing I did learn today is that I need some new chisels, are there any particular sizes or shapes you use the most?.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

My favorite chisel is the 2 inch one I bought for $6.00 at the local hardware store. It has a short blade and  continuously needs sharpening. But I don't mind. The next is a Marple 1 inch with a long blade. It has the reach to do longer shavings than the other 2.5 one. The Marples were a Christmas gift, otherwise I would not have put out the money for them although they are one of the better brands. I look froward to your next post.

Lou

buccfan

Thanks for that Lou, I will have a look when I go to York. Well I managed to get some more done today, the only problem I have found is that once you get started you don't want to stop, with the lack of usable chisels I have been using my razor and sharksaw to remove the bulk of the wood and them filing and sanding to shape, and with the exception of the wing to fuse cutout it has worked very well.

The reason I say that didn't work well is that I cut inside the marks as you suggested, but by the time I had cleaned and sanded it was just a little bigger, so it's not a tight fit,but it still fits well. When I cut the wood for the wing I sanded to the final shape then cut it exactly in half so I have got a wing for my next one. Yes my next one, because I think it's addictive. Just one quick question Lou, does the wing taper start from the fuse cutout, or after the intakes sit on the wing,I think it's the former but I though I would just check.

Anyway here's a couple of pics just to show my progress. Regards Paul J.

Balsabasher

Some neat model building there Bucc,I can see that you are enjoying things as well,good work.
Barry.

lastvautour

It looks great Paul. AirToon need not be a particular size or exact shape. That is why they are just fun to do. You have done very well so far. The wing is tapered up on the bottom only so the intakes sit flat on them. And the biggest problem you have hit right on the head. When do you stop? I would stay down in the basement for days if the misses did not convince me it is time to eat or sleep. Today was very hot outside, but nice and cool downstairs so you can guess where I spent my afternoon. As to the chisel. any shape blade will do. I go through a pack of the exacto No 11 blades every two weeks. I try shapening them, but they never quite get that fresh edge. Regardless, enjoy the fun of a first build. It will never come again.

Lou

buccfan

You are right Barry, I am enjoying every minute, I think my plastic kits may get a bit dusty.Thanks Lou, Don't you just love it when it's raining!!!!.
I got the wing tapered and the fin reduced to thickness and ready for shaping, marked the underside of the intakes for rebating and shaping, then I got distracted by a picture in the Airtoon file and created a second project. A Hawk 200 Airtoon.
   With a bit of squashing in my print program and extending the canopy and a slight widening of the fin and extension of the fuse I thought the result worth a try.  The stab and the intakes are the same as the other Hawks. I also made two toontanks to go on it. Hope it' raining tomorrow as well so I can crack on with the 100 series, I may paint it as an Australian version or a Hawk T2 R.A.F, I've not made my mind up yet. I already have some Australian decals in 1/48. Regards Paul J.

Balsabasher

Someone else who likes rain,there is something theraputic about the rain,today we had heavy showers in between sweltering sunshine today,the tin roof on the hangar makes it sound like a gattling gun hitting it ! the other portion where the office area is and where I work on my artwork and drawings is quiet because there is a false roof,I have one area that lets in some water but my good friend is going to climb into the rafters for me and inject some of that expanding foam stuff that comes out of a pressurised container,that is before the winter sets in,he says it is the best thing for tricky drip spots.
Barry.

lastvautour

Nice convertion to 200 series Hawk. Pat Cherry, from Blackheartart http://blackheartart.com/ made a CF-101B Voodoo and a CF-100 Mk 3 Canuck caricature print. Those will be my next AirToon. As to plastics, I work both concurently. I currently have a Monogram F-84 just about to be started. I find that they are not in competition with each other, just different aspects of my hobby. I await more pictures of your Hawks.

Lou
PS Do you have posted pictures of your plastic collection. I have mine on flickr.

buccfan

Hi Barry, nothing worse than a small leak that you can't find where its getting in. Lou, I don't have any  pics of my plastic kits, as I only got back into it pretty recently after a long layoff. I have done 2 1/48 Buccaneers and a 1/144 Tornado as well as restore a desktop model of a harrier which was in a pretty bad state. At the moment I have  1/48 Hawk on the go but it's a terrible kit and I'm losing the will to carry on with it at the moment. That's why these Airtoons are a refreshing change. The kit was a Highplanes mixed media kit with vacform, white metal and resin. But everything seems to be a terrible fit, I had to file everything in the cockpit area to get the fuse together then I found it was still too wide for the vacform canopy,and so on. 

I will take some pics of my other models and send you a link.I also have a large collection of diecast aircraft as well, mainly Corgi collection.
I went to York today and bought some new chisels, a set of 8 Irwin Marples for £49.99p, should have been £99.99p. 8 chisels in the set from1/4" to 2", in a wooden storage box.

Judging by how much they were individually priced at, that was a bargain. I don't know whether I will get any more done this coming week( unless it's raining ;D)  as I have to build one of my neighbours a logstore, in return I get as many logs from a large pile he has in a field that I can take. You can never have too many logs as you will know.And I still have my work to finish. Regards Paul.

lastvautour

Paul, that is a good price for Marples. Lucky you! Raining here today but have company.

Lou