• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Air-Toons

Started by lastvautour, August 18, 2009, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The site I found calls these StubbeeZ. They are century series aircraft but unique in their own right. We have Dave's F-107 and his F-100 plus my F-102 (picture to follow) Anybody else want to do fanciful caricatures of a loved aircraft?. It is fun and allows your imagination to run wild. There are no specific rules in making them and they could be air, land or sea themes.  Just have fun.

lastvautour

Spectacular F100 StubbeeZ by Dave. Mine still awaits flow fences before pictures are taken. Should be sometime today, I hope. Thunderstorms are predicted hence little outside activities today.

lastvautour

First F-102 photo with model ready for primer. I have several F-102 decals sheets from my plastic collection so choosing one should not be a problem. The scale is 1/72 (?) using the vertical tail fin as a measure.

lastvautour

Dave's NA F-100 Super Sabre came out brilliantly. Dave applied his home decals to make his creation come to life.

My F-102 is in the paint shop today getting it's "aircraft grey" applied.
Congratulations Dave on an excellent job

dave_t

Thanks for posting that Lou.

I am not very decal "literate" and had a difficult time applying them. The edges kept curling under and it was nearly impossible to undo once they were applied. Anyone else experience this problem?

lastvautour

Yes in deed. Either place water or decal setting solution on the model before sliding the decal in place. once dry, a light coating of decal solution should lay the edges down. Once this is dry an application of future or similar solution will seal everything. You cannot tell from your photo that there was any problem. Everything looks fantastic.

cliff strachan

Thanks for the info on applying decals. I'm not sure but is this kind of advise, and the recent information concerning painting with metallic paints along with so many other useful tips, refiled in the appropriate "techniques" section?

Cliff.

lastvautour

Here is the completed F-102 Cartoon Aircraft as per Dave's original submission.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0
Construction was basswood and pine. Decals are from various plastic kits, some aftermarket and home made decals. All in all a very nice little projects that takes the stress out of everyday carving. Hey, what stress? It was joy to follow Dave's lead on this F-102.

Lou

lastvautour

dave_t

I knew it was going to look good Lou, but not that good :o. The colors really brought it to life.

You're the man...

lastvautour

Thanks Dave. The paint did it all. It is Model Master Aircraft Grey. It is premixed and can be applied with a brush. I thinned it quite a bit and used the airbrush. The shine was better than expected.

Lou

lastvautour

The second F-102 and the F-104 are done except for the pitot tube stripes which have been applied since the photo was taken. I need a better method of applying silver.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=2
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0

lastvautour

Finally the F-101.

The remaining Century Series will have to wait.

Lou

lastvautour

Dave's outstanding B-17 has been rolled out. Superb workmanship Dave. Those turrets sure make her aggressive for an Air-Toon. Excellent presentation.

Lou

lastvautour

Dave has once again taken the lead in promoting our hobby. A mutual contact, Pat Cherry is showing an interest in taking up the hobby due to Dave's efforts.

These show and tell are great for beginners and old hands alike. Thank Dave.

Lou