• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Internet Research - Snail Mail

Started by lastvautour, November 08, 2011, 04:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

It is good to see that snail mail is still useful. In researching the Royal Gull I found that its original registration number CF-ILU was changed to N6354T when it was sold to a Mr Edwards from Big Spring Texas. Being such a long time ago, I was so happy to find that it was still registered in his name although its certificate had expired. While searching further it turns out that he also owned an airport and has some charter businesses operating from that location. One of the web sites visited had a Google Earth satellite link to the area. On closer viewing using the enlargement feature, low and behold, there was a Royal Gull that could only be the one I was looking for. The picture is low resolution and only available from the top view. Further searching could not find an email address for the gentleman, however a mailing address was available. I wrote a letter looking for further info and mailed it this morning. Now the long wait as I assume that it will take several weeks to get an answer unless he responds via the email address I supplied and SMM's web address.
The joys of this hobby are so diversified and fullfilling. Has anyone else had so much fun find the info they wanted.

Lou
PS, finding drawings was another fun event ending with the downloading of an Italian publication similar to "Profile Publications".

Balsabasher

Lou years ago before the wonderful internet was ever devised I used to use snail mail a lot for research,you had to because it was the only way to contact aircraft owners etc for colourschemes and pictures,on more than one occasion it resulted in me visiting a certain airfield armed with camera and sketchbook to take details having had the permission to get up really close to my choses subject.
Also I used to often get a flight in the aircraft from the proud owner which was a real bonus,also back then publicity departments freely gave out drawings and photographs of their products,as a young lad I would write to all the big manufactures of which there were more back then,the results were glossy photographs and brochures plus sometimes photo copied 3-view plans,the annual SBAC Farnborough airshow was also a good place to get brochures etc,they even provided a big plastic carrier bag with sturdy handles to lug the material around the show !
So best of luck with your own snail mail endeavours,you never know quite what to expect ?
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Lou,
I've had several adventures researching early aviation history.  My father, at the age of six, in 1929, witnessed Charles Lindbergh flying an aerobatic routine with Blue Section of the U.S. Navy's "High Hats", VF-1B at the National Air Races in Cleveland.  They were flying Boeing F2B-1 fighters, Lindbergh flying the aircraft assigned to the High Hats aerobatic leader, Lt. Leslie Gehres.  My great aunt had photos of the event from August, 1929 and it was the topic of conversation at several family gatherings during my youth.  I spent over 30 years gathering information about the aircraft flown by the High Hats in 1929 and especially the machine flown by Charles Lindbergh.  I must admit, the internet sure makes such work a lot easier.   I know all the markings and colors now, enough to build a model.  ;)

Mark