• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Making PDF files

Started by dave_t, November 17, 2010, 07:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave_t

I have collected a few magazine articles from the 1970s thru 90s concerning solid modeling and also the WWII recognition model project and thought about turning them into Acrobat files to be uploaded here for anyone to read, but I don't have the software to do that yet. When scanning the articles for this purpose, what size and format should the images be?

Dave

R.F.Bennett

You can download a free office suite called Open Office at;

http://www.openoffice.org/

This is an open source program put out by Sun Microsystems and Oracle I've used it for years.

The Writer segment of the program will export as PDF files. This is what I use and you can scan images directly into the document then export as PDF. This is the same program I used to do the Perch build and draw-knife build PDF's

With old magazine article make sure they are at least 150 dpi or they will be fuzzy, They're already fuzzy to begin with. Try to make them as large as you can, at least as large as they really are. 8 bit grayscale is much better than B&W but with a PDF you can get away with making them large, bright, clear and in color.
I suggest you save a file as the program default, then save it as a PDF. It's a really good program, I have completely replaced windows office and word with it.

Did I say it was FREE!  ;D  :P
"The Dude Abides"

dave_t

Thanks Ray. I downloaded it and will check it out.