• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

An in-depth solid model tutorial from Japan

Started by dave_t, July 06, 2010, 12:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Did a bit of roaming on the site. Fantasttic modeler.

Lou

animek

This is way cool, I would never have found this link.
Thanks

Ben

dave_t

I should call the link advanced solid modeling. So far, the most interesting thing I learned there was the use of a lacquer-based primer/filler called Mr. Surfacer
http://www.swannysmodels.com/Surfacer.html
That smooth white surface on the Japanese models (before the final paint was applied) had been a big mystery to me.

Oceaneer99

Thank you for sharing the link.  Looking at their site, it looks like the construction articles come from two series of periodicals that were published in Japan in the 1950s: "World Aircraft", and "Air Fan".  I had wondered why there seemed to be a universal style of solid model construction in Japan, and those early periodicals may be the reason.  There seem to be a greater variety of construction styles among us (primarily Europe, Australia, and North America), probably reflecting the different styles of kits and magazine articles that appeared in the UK and US.

They also have a photographed how-to for a FW-190 written by Fukuda-san.

Some of their plans should look familiar: they are from Kenny Horne's site and our gallery, so they have certainly found us.  There is a significant language barrier, of course, but it would be nice if we could eventually link to each others' sites so that each has an idea of what the other are working on.

dave_t

They are currently building the site and have added a link to Solid Model Memories.

Balsabasher

Absolutely superb workmanship,wonderful to see that modellers throughout the world are producing models like this,the tutorials are first class,I would be proud to link to this site,well found and thank you.
Barry.