• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Languages in Gallery

Started by dave_t, April 26, 2010, 05:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave_t

Is anyone else automatically getting their SMM gallery page translated to other languages lately? One day last week it came up in Welsh, today it's Slovenian (I think).

Oceaneer99

Dave,

Not recently, though I've accidentally clicked one of the flags at the bottom of the gallery page and gotten other languages before.  Could you be doing that inadvertently? Also, if you somehow end up with a url that has something like ?lang=english at the end, it will change the default language to whatever is after the = sign.

scottzepher

Just went on the Gallery now, and it came up in English, that is US English, not the UK English with all the quaint spellings.

Tom

dave_t

I didn't realize (realise) there was enough of a difference between the two to warrant a translation. I wonder if it would translate words like "boot", "bonnet" or "tyre":). It was really surprising to see Welsh come up on my screen, and Garet, I don't think I did a thing to cause it. Maybe it has something to do with cookies.

Nid oeddwn yn sylweddoli oedd digon o wahaniaeth rhwng y ddau i warantu cyfieithiad. Tybed a fyddai ei gyfieithu geiriau fel "boot", "bonet" neu "teiars":). Roedd yn syndod i weld Cymru yn dod i fyny ar fy sgrin, ac Garet, nid wyf yn meddwl fy mod wedi gwneud beth achosi iddo. Efallai ei fod wedi rywbeth i'w wneud gyda cwcis.

Oceaneer99

Dave, The gallery language setting is supposed to just change the labels in the gallery software.  Did it also translate the posts?(!)

I have a Kenyan friend who asked to be sent to England to brush up on his English before being sent for work to Seattle.  When he arrived here, one of his first questions was, "What language do you speak, because it isn't English!?" 

I was once in Belgium visiting a relative who was taking a course in "Colloquial American" to get ready for his upcoming trip to the States.  He came out with these atrocious expressions and slang, and I kept telling him, "You can't talk that way; it's not proper!"  But it was a losing battle, because he'd always point to some movie character or teen-aged singer who did talk that way.  Sigh.

And those poor Canadian friends of ours have to be bi-lingual (even without French), with a North American accent and British spelling!  I was once listening to an old radio play (1930s) which was broadcast in England.  They had detectives from England, Canada, and the US, and they went to incredible lengths to help the listener separate the Canadian from the Yank.

Garet

dave_t

I uploaded a drawing to the gallery and labeled it "Spitfire" instead of "Spiteful". I got distracted by the change in language ( Hungarian maybe) and could not find an option to get back to English.  :-[

Oceaneer99

Dave,

Go to this url:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/index.php?lang=default

and that should reset your language to the same one your browser reports.

If that doesn't work, use:

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/index.php?lang=english

Garet

dave_t

Garet,
     Thanks for the link, I will trying making that my gallery bookmark. Once before when this happened you mentioned something about cookies, so I deleted the smm cookie in my browser and after restarting, the page went back to English.

I am amazed at what a storehouse of info the gallery has become over the past few years. It is very well organized too.

Dave