• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Seattle weather

Started by dave_t, June 18, 2009, 01:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave_t

Once again (how many times in the past year?) Seattle's freak weather made it on the national news here in the USA. Apparently it's been sunny or at least not raining for a whole month. :o ;)

Oceaneer99

Yes, it's true: dreadful weather here in Seattle.  Only partly cloudy today, no rain for a month, temperature of 68 F.  Kayaking and canoeing every weekend.  Simply dreadful.  ;)  Probably even worse on your side of the Sound, eh, Ray?

R.F.Bennett

WHAT!?. . . I can't hear you. The air conditioner is too loud!  :P
"The Dude Abides"

dave_t

So Garet, those fair weather activities are cutting into your solid-modeling time. Are you at least using a home-made kayak?

Oceaneer99

Yes, the kayak is home-made. Skin on frame, so just like one of those Comet airplane kits  ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oceaneer99/3545138562/

dave_t

Very cool kayak. What next, a sailboat?

lastvautour

Next should be a full scale Piper Cub. You up to it Garet.

Lou

Oceaneer99

It does look a bit like a Piper Cub.  However, I think the kayak is more forgiving.  My youngest son (5) tried it out for the first time last weekend and rolled it over in the lake.

Dave, as to what is next, probably another kayak.  If he is paddling full-out, my oldest son can outrun our canoe, especially into a headwind.  However, I am looking at some British designs, including some version of the British WW II Cockleshell canoes, and many of these were fitted with sails.  I had a friend who built a traditional wooden sailing canoe in Virginia, and he described sailing it as somewhere between exhilarating and terrifying.

Oh, by the way, it is raining today.

Garet

dave_t

Garet, I seem to remember Roy Underhill making a coracle, a Welsh boat that made him look like he was paddling around in a big walnut shell. It probably wouldn't outstrip a kayak though.

Oceaneer99

He also made a wood and canvas kayak for his daughter, though use of plywood frames and epoxy can make for a much stronger version.