• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Welcome Ken N

Started by lastvautour, April 22, 2015, 05:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Ken, please tell us about yourself and model making. By your post I see you have lots to offer.

Lou

Model Maker

Lou:

Not much to tell. No doubt, like many folks, I started off building plastic models in my teens. I originally started building model cars and a few model planes. I have also always enjoyed wood working and started my tool collection when I was 10 - a hammer, hand drill and chisel. Over the course of my latter teen years I started to scratch build model boats. First one was of HMCS Ontario., then progressed onto a 19th century whaler and a tug. When the kids were growing up, I didn't have much time for modelling, but a few years ago, I took a couple of decoy carving courses. I found carving and working with hand tools to be very relaxing. During one of my internet sessions, I came across this site and thought I'd try carving some Spitfires as gifts. I really enjoyed it and am now onto my next plane - the P-51D.

My professional background has been involved with equipment maintenance I've worked with some vary talented tradesmen, who were adept in developing fixtures and jigs to facilitate repairs. As I have worked on my various modelling endeavors, I've found that fixtures or jigs often enhance the quality and accuracy of the build. In many cases building or creating them is as gratifying as building the model itself. And they let me utilize some of  various tools from my tool kit (which has grown considerably from the original hammer, hand drill and chisel) which is also good.

lastvautour

Thank you Ken. I am sure that the group will benefit from your presence.

Lou