• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - Handley Page Hampden - A guide to WWII ID Models

Started by lastvautour, September 28, 2013, 05:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The guns are the same round stock as the lower antenna and upper fuselage longeron. Check the model you wish to do and cut to length accordingly. I used the point of my compass to make holes for insertion. Different gun placement were used by various squadrons so check your references for placement and size. My model has 1 upper rear and two lower rear guns. Some may have fuselage mounted gun just in front of the forward cockpit windscreen.

Lou

lastvautour

Making of the stand is your choice. I have a simple one that I have used on all my WWII ID + models. See the details at http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=1154.msg11530#msg11530 located in the Tips and Technique section of the site.

The aircraft center of gravity should be placed in the center of the horizontal base. A round toothpick is used to form a joint between the aircraft and the stand and is not glued to ease removal for transport. The toothpick receiving hole in the aircraft should be approx. 1 inch behind the C of G. This has served me well so far.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lovely historic ID model Lou,it looks really good and I can just imagine this hanging from the roof of a nissan hut in the services.
Barry.

lastvautour

Once primed and sanded, the window frames are applied using narrow masking tape. I use a homemade printed guide to attempt to cut the masking tape to a consistent width. In this case the spacing is approx. .9mm. Use a sharp blade to cut. I took apart an ordinary three ring binder and found this really nice straight edge in it. One side has a glued strip of fine sandpaper to hold on smooth surfaces. It works like a charm.

Lou

PS the plans call for scribing the lines. I cannot do that very well so I do this work around. The choice is yours.

lastvautour

Apply the tape over the primer. If you have some adhesion problems, apply a thin coat of Future Wax and let dry. Future may not be available in other countries, however any acrylic liquid wax with do. Use a sharp blade to cut off the end rather than trying to place a specific length of tape. The turrets are also done in the same fashion. I have some future drying and will post more once all the framing has been done.

Lou

Balsabasher

It works well Lou,this narrow tape is very useful,if you want to buy some then use Chart tape from stationers shops.
Barry.

lastvautour

The more ways we have at making our models, the better we get at our craft.

Lou

lastvautour

Progress of the cockpit window masking. Note that masking is used for the cowl cooling flats also. A patient individual could cut the separate individual flaps.

Lou

lastvautour

In my enthusiasm to complete the project, the black bottom paint has been applied before the masking of the forward fuselage. The RCAF 408 Squadron scheme will be dark brown, dark green over black. http://www.rafweb.org/SqnMark408-429.htm

Although the label indicates flat black, it is more of a semi gloss but the framework stand out well. As the fuselage will be hand painted, the semi gloss black will act as window glass. New brushes need to be purchased as those on hand are in bad need of replacing.

Lou
PS the above link is fantastic for RAF buffs. All of the countries that flew squadron during WWII are represented.

Balsabasher

This is going to look really good in its camouflage finish,the ID Plus idea works well and you can decorate your creations as much or as little as you like,the faithful lines have been caught by you Lou of the Handley Page Hampden 'Flying Suitcase' so called because of its very narrow fuselage for a fighter bomber.

Barry.

buccfan

Great project Peter / Lou, both looking very good. Regards Paul J.

cliff strachan

Lou, if you have time could you elaborate on the business whereby you took apart a three ring binder to arrive at a straight edge and your homemade guide to allow you to achieve a consistant width in your strips. Also is it possible to make strips even of a width narrower than 0.9mm?
Cliff.

Balsabasher

Cliff if you want a really good straight edge that does not slip then get hold of an industrial hacksaw blade,the staggered teeth just grip the wood nicely when you put pressure on the blade,mine has been in use for years.

Also try a slide type guilotine the sort sold in Lidls stores,you can cut really narrow strips with those.

Barry.

lastvautour

The bottom colour for my RCAF 408 Squadron Hampden is black. As an experiment the paint was applied to the entire aircraft. These picture shows pretty well what a WWII ID model should have looked back in the 1940s.

Lou

Balsabasher

You would not know this is not an original ID model Lou,when you think about it they were expecting a lot from  people unskilled in making anything and producing reasonable replicas under that government scheme,but at least we have the drawings today to reproduce them properly as originally intended.
You have produced a faithful machine and reproduced a piece of history in itself.
Barry.