• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Aluminium F-16 1:60 by my son from 2008

Started by Gearup, January 31, 2023, 07:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearup

My son made this model of an F-16 when he was in high school metal working class. He was 16 at the time.

He used a three view plan and sectioned out the various profiles for the model. The central fuselage, intake and tailpipe were turned from one pice of aluminium bar on a metal lathe. He then cut the top surface of the fuselage flat for the wings and forward upper fuselage to sit on. The centre line of the forward fuselage including the nose and canopy is cut from 1/4" brass. The vertical fin is also 1/4" brass. The remaining parts that make ups the wings, horizontal stabs and fuselage contours where cut from 1/8" aluminium sheet.

All of the components were assembled using epoxy adhesive with the fin and stabilizers also pinned to the fuselage. A stand was made of of 3/16" stainless rod inserted into a steel block 1x2x10". the block was heated with a torch to give the surface a blued steel effect. The model is 9.5" long and 6.5 " span. It weighs in at 5 lbs!

I am always amazed when I look at the quality of his work at that time. It has carried on into his CNC projects, woodworking, metal work and now leather crafting.

Gearup

more pictures

lastvautour

That is a fantastic project. That boy needs a HOBBY ;)

Lou

Boomerang