• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Intermediate - Douglas DC-3/C-47 - WWII ID Model

Started by lastvautour, November 02, 2013, 10:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Once the wing has taken shape, we ready ourselves for fitting of the nacelles. I prefer to mark from one side and then flip the template over and do the lines over again. I will take the medium lines to cut the part out.

Lou

lastvautour

Cutting away the nacelle slot begins with a cut to the center of the nacelle area. Using a hobby knife remove the wood from the nacelle area.

Lou

lastvautour

I used a 7/16 dowel to make the nacelles or it can be done from scratch. Cut out the pattern and mark the nacelle shape. I waited until the shape was carved before cutting the front face of the nacelle. This allowed for errors in cutting the shape.

Lou

lastvautour

Once the top profile is done, test fit to the wing. The fit should be snug. The parts are just placed for show.

Lou

lastvautour

Placing the template for the side view of the nacelle, draw the shape of the nacelle's top and bottom. Cut slowly to avoid taking too much away. This is my second set of nacelles (so far).

Lou

lastvautour

Frequently check the side profile so it fits the thickness of the wing. Next draw a line 1/16 inch from the edge of the face and 1/6 inch from the edge of the cowl side. This will give you a guide in beveling the front edge of the nacelle.

Lou

Balsabasher

I think this is a much better way of making nacelles than the slipper method whereby you have to cut the wing shape in the nacelle itself,many wartime kits and plans used that tricky and sometimes unworkable method,Lous way also lends itself to better adjustment as well.

Barry.

lastvautour

This method is part of the WWII ID model plan for the DC-3.  I think that there were several hands involved in making up the plans and none communicated to each other, hence such a variety of way to build and assemble these models. Regardless, there are no rules saying one method cannot be used on another model. My preferred method is to build the dihedral into the wing at time of carving and notch both the fuselage and wing to mate the pieces. For these tutorials I try to stay in line with the plans as much as possible. Once one method is mastered, the novice can pick and choose which way to proceed.

At this point I have glued the nacelles. To ensure they aligned with each other I placed small skewers on a flat surface, place the wing on top and placed the nacelles on the flat surface. That gave me the proper height of the nacelle in relation to the wing and also aligned the center line of the nacelle with the flat bottom of the wing. Pictures to follow.

Lou

lastvautour

Gluing and puttying were separated by a day and photographed to demonstrate the method used to align the nacelles. The front edges of the nacelles were rounded off with sandpaper.

Lou

lastvautour

The fuselage saddle area was carved using the hobby knife. I removed to much materiel and had to add some putty to fill the void. So now the four major assemblies are just about ready for final fit and then glue. Items such as scoops, carburetor intakes and wheels will be added after putty and sanding of the major assemblies.

Lou

Balsabasher

I recently saw a picture in an old aviation magazine that shows a table full of these models awaiting delivery to the U.S.Navy,in fact it was several tables crammed with models that the college had built,this is the first evidence that I have seen of actual models that have been built on the scheme.

Barry.

lastvautour

The bottom of the leading edge area inside the nacelles is marked for rounding off. You may use a hobby knife or just sandpaper as the basswood is easy to sand. Don't be shy with the glue as you glue the fuselage to the wing.

Lou

lastvautour

Keep checking that the fuselage is centered on the two nacelles regardless of the marks on the wing. Clamp with elastic bands or a wood clamp to ensure nothing moves during he curing of the glue.

Lou

lastvautour

The cut out areas on the tail feathers that are next to the fuselage are done using sandpaper and a round dowel or paint brush handle. Run the paper back and forth round the dowel to ensure it lays down to the handle/dowel surface. A few GENTLE strokes will give good results. The WWII ID plans do not show the rudder as being done in this fashion, however picture show it as a prominent feature of the Dak.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou the strange rudder and elevator cut outs on the DC-3 are to compensate in the asymetric mode,Mr Douglas got everything just right on the venerable Dak.

Barry.