• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

P-51B 312451 "Peggy"

Started by 1.JaVA_LGorrit, September 25, 2008, 08:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1.JaVA_LGorrit

As I don't have my own Project Board I will just post my progress here  :D

I'm ready to paint my P-51B now.
Just started on the most difficult part.

I really would like to know more about your decal techniques, because I hand-paint mine and it is giving me hypertensia.  :P

Also if anyone has more info on the colourscheme of the underside of this plane I would appreciate it.
The plane was stationed at Boxted (UK) and belonged to 355th Sq. (354 Fighter Group).
I found a video on Youtube about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TDrP0p45_A

Oceaneer99

Now you have a project board.  :)

R.F.Bennett

If you need more space in the Gallery let us know.  ;D  :P
"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

Gorrit,

We've had a few discussions about homemade decals of various sorts.  See the messages at:

Solid Model Memories.net > Tips and Techniques > Markings and decals.

We don't have a summary list (yet!), but they break down into the following sorts:

• print on white paper ("paper decals"), which are pasted on.  The 1940s kits all used these. Garet has used this technique for profile models, and many members have used it in the past for 3D models
  • print on special water-slide decal film (white or clear backgrounds available).  You end up with a decal similar to the kind you get in a kit, except that you have to trim the edges yourself.  Kenny Horne and Garet (and probably others on this site as well) have both used this method.
  • paint onto gummed paper (Gera's method)
  • print onto tissue (Ken Pugh's method; kenny Horne has tried this and also tracing paper), technique used in balsa-and-tissue planes
  • print onto self-adhesive labels (Ray has been experimenting with this, and I have tried a few -- one is stuck to my desk at work as a durability test)

White lettering is almost always a problem.  Once upon a time, there were ALPS printers that could print white decals, but they haven't been made in a while.  There are various ways around this, but all have tradeoffs.

Garet

lastvautour

Very nice Mustang. The P-51 is a favorite of many of us including me. Your model brings back good memories. Thanks for joining and sharing.

Lou