• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/72 SO 4050 Vautour Started 11 Nov 2020 Completed 26 Dec 2020

Started by lastvautour, November 11, 2020, 09:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

The first of three twin engine 1st Generation Jet bombers is my namesake, the French Vautour IIA. These twins are somewhat larger than other 1/72 models in my collection and will require me to set up more shelving to display them.

Lou

lastvautour

Fuselage, canopy and tail feathers rough sanded awaiting some wings and engines.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

buccfan

lastvautour

lastvautour

lastvautour

My first attempt at a mortise and tenon joint. One side is rather loose and will require some filling and recarving to get a tight fit. The engine nacelles are glued and will be carved in place.

Lou

lastvautour

Fairing in the engines requires quite a bit of putty as my cutting skills are lacking in precision.

Lou

Gearup

Should be a strong model. BTW, what do you use for the wood filler / putty? Ive been using auto body glazing putty, but when I scribe in details, it reacts so differently then the primed wood.
Fraser

lastvautour

I use Lepage wood filler from a tube. It also come in a can but find the tube more convenient.

Lou

lastvautour

The caption was to read all glued up awaiting putty. Unfortunately it fell off the bench and dislocated the vertical fin. New glue setting again. Photo after putty and sanding.

Lou

Boomerang

lastvautour

Thank you Gordon. It is still pretty rough shape and the camera does not show it. It needs a lot of TLC from now on.

Lou

lastvautour

Although I have not posted any new progress reports, the Vautour has not been idle. I had to sand down two paint jobs as they were not to my satisfaction. A third is so-so but I plan on applying the printed decal in a few days and see if it looks OK. Decals are for an all aluminum Israeli Vautour circa 1959.

Lou
Photo on completion.