• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

What is it? May, 2012

Started by Mark Braunlich, May 29, 2012, 02:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Braunlich

Been some time since we had one of these quizes. 

lastvautour

cliff strachan

Well I guess I really can't tell at this stage exactly what aircraft that is. But I must guess that it definitely is not of the Moth Family. But I'm really posting at this time because of a thought that has been in mind for quite some time. Your photograph of an aircraft, Mark, has had me baffled for sometime. I believe it is a De Haviland Puss Moth. Its registration also has me baffled. Could you please enlighten myself and the Group, if I should not be the only one ignorant of the history behind your chosen photo, as to your choice of accompanying photo.
Thanks.
Cliff.

Mark Braunlich

Lou,

Not giving hints yet.

Cliff,
It's my restored Skybirds Puss Moth in the markings of CF-AGO, the first Puss Moth in N. America.  See link:
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=590.0

cliff strachan

Thanks Mark for the reference to your prior very informative piece on the history of your Puss Moth that you've presented as your signature photo. Of course I've read it before but I admit to having forgoten its substance over time. In the meantime, I believe the description of your restoration is well worth a permanent place in our "technique" section. The remark concerning the wings falling off is really of primary concern and is thought to be a fault in the death of Bert Henkler a long distance flier a way back then - the '20s or '30s. This latter bit plus some very good 3views - after I check it out - I'll post for you and others and was the matter that I had been intending to draw attention to for sometime.
Cliff.

Balsabasher

Well 'V' centre section struts ? having a guess to get the ball rolling,is it a Heath Parasol ? it certainly looks to be a very pretty design of the light aircraft category.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Balsabasher

Vickers Vimy engine arrangement ? totally different thinking.
Barry.

Mark Braunlich

Not a Vimy or Virginia or Vernon (I think that's the whole family).

Mark

Balsabasher

Mark Braunlich

No, but nice try!

Balsabasher

Mark Braunlich

Sorry again Barry.

Balsabasher

cliff strachan

I believe it is a Moth of some description. A two seater, side by side version. I think that the tail is of the conventional De Havilland type. But the fuel tank on the top wing appears to be smaller than normal. And that's my two cents for what it's worth.
Cliff.
PS. Obviously a home built. Obvious because it appears to be metal covered.