• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Cessna 150M Project 5

Started by Gearup, October 11, 2023, 04:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearup

Cessna 150M project in parallel with four other light aircraft models.

Gearup

cherry wood

lastvautour

I like those high-wing aircraft.

Lou

Gearup

Much better visibility to watch the ground go slowly by.

Gearup

Sanding slot to width. Single edge razor blade with 80 grit paper bonded to one side fits tight slot and is easy to hold.

lastvautour

Nice fit. Never thought of using a blade for stiffness. Thanks for the tip.

Lou

Gearup

Marked out the stiffeners on the wing flaps and ailerons. Nice thing about the ribbing is they are always parallel to the airflow even though the ailerons are swept on the wing. Makes it easy to set up for marking. 

Also, has anyone ever heard of the "Diamond Club " almost exclusive to the small Cessnas? 😃

The 150's have huge Fowler flaps that can extend aft and down to 40 degrees of deflection. They really can add a lot of drag, hence the name "barn doors"

lastvautour

Looking good Fraser. I see you are putting your jig to good use.

Lou

Gearup

The jig is working great now. I made the new holding fixture to hold (hence the name) the wing flat and in alignment. The spring stick across the wing allows the whole wing and fixture to slide side to side to get the wing aligned to the reference markings on the face of the jig. It then secures the whole assembly from shifting while marking the ribs.

I spent time to modify the jig as I am using it to work so many more models and I wanted easy adjustments.

Gearup

Should also answer what the Diamond Club is. 
When I worked at a flying club, the occasional student, who would be in a rush in a full hangar of 150's, would join the club. This was achieved by not paying attention to the trailing edges of the ailerons and walking into one with your forehead. The diamond shaped stiffeners would then imprint a nice diamond on our forehead😧

lastvautour

In a similar fashion, the F-104 was called the head skinner due to its very sharp leading edges.

Lou

Gearup

Primed. The swept tail on the later 150's was purely aesthetic and did not result in a faster airplane. I do like the look, though    

lastvautour

Gearup

I think that Cessna used the same basic profile starting in the 60's to give their fleet a trade mark look.  I know that when I took my license, the Cessna pilot training manual had each chapter headlined  with a side view of their aircraft as they increased in size and sophistication. They wanted the pilots to feel a continuity as they moved along and bought that new 414 when they made it big🧐. Truth is, I still like the look of Cessna's twins from the 310 up.

Gearup

Vertical fin, stabilizer and fuselage filled and all parts primed. Major parts mocked up together.

Next is to mount empennage and cut the wings to fit.