• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Piper PA28-140 Project 5

Started by Gearup, October 11, 2023, 04:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearup

Piper PA28-140 project in parallel with four other light aircraft models.

Boomerang

Watching all of these with great interest Fraser.

Gordon

Gearup

Thanks Gordon. I will promise to keep moving along.
Fraser

Gearup

lastvautour

I mostly do high-wing aircraft but find the Cherokee an interesting subject. I have a Musketeer in 1/32.

Lou

Gearup

Upper side of the ailerons and flap done on the piper wing using my rib marking fixture. The glue for the lines was mixed 3:1 glue with water.

Odd thing about pa28's. The skins on the flight controls were either raised stiffener forms or the mirror of that with the stiffener formed as a hollow on the skin. You may even see aircraft with ailerons one way and the flaps the other way. The discussion goes on about the way it should be.

lastvautour

Gearup

Gearup

The fin of the PA 28 has indented stiffeners as in the ailerons and flaps. The hinge line of the rudder is swept back and the stiffeners do not cross the hinges at 90 degrees. They are at an angle to it so I measured the angle with an adjustable bevel gauge to set the fin in the fixture correctly.

Looks like a bit of overkill, but it is fun to do. I guess I could have lay the fin part over a cut copy of the fin to align it correctly. Next time😜

lastvautour

There is always a work around.

Lou

Boomerang

Fraser,

Love your work on these models.

All looking great.

Gordon

Gearup

Primed.  All flying stabilator is primed and then I forgot to add the ribbing. So I will correct that issue and post pic when done.  Seemed to be a bit too smooth😄

Gearup

Ribbing added to the stab.

A problem with the inset stiffeners is that the stab sits pretty much level fore and aft when parked. Because of that water will collect in the hollows and it can freeze in place. With a balanced flight control this can definitely be a problem and extra care was needed to check each hollow for ice even if the aircraft looked clean in the cold months.

lastvautour

Nice to hear some personal info on your projects.

Lou

Gearup

Vertical fin and stabilizer flight control stiffeners marked out, fuselage filled and all parts primed. Major parts mocked up together.

Next is to mount empennage and cut the wings to fit.