• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Flight of fancy MKIII - FOF3

Started by Gearup, November 02, 2021, 12:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearup

Well I guess I'll join in for this one.  At least with the fuzzy pictures from the tv commercial anything is open to imagination🤪
Fraser

lastvautour

I have moved the original post to the group build board so we can post our finished models to a common site. I hope others will join us.

Looks great Fraser. Your part breakdown by cutting top/bottom and side/side is something I have not done in a long time. It sure saves on chiseling time. My title is based on my third Flight of Fancy project. Photos attached on the Mk I and Mk II. I like the idea of sharing our tittle.

Lou

Gearup

Some progress today either the fuselage. Kind of fun working on this what if model. Except for cutting  out the major parts with a scroll saw, I've only used a knife, gouge and a sanding stick. Smallest fuselage I've worked on so far.

Here the model is mocked up with paper tail feathers. Next I will carve out the cockpit and inlets.  Second picture of the wing with the shadow method to see how the contour is looking. I think I'm going to cut the wing in half to set the dihedral then inset it into the fuselage.

lastvautour

Boomerang

Gearup

Thanks.

To get the Dihedral  of the wing correct, I cut partially through the centreline and cracked it over a dowel. I placed it over a metal square and use magnetics to hold the tips down. I used UV cured adhesive in the joint and it was structurally sound in about 10 seconds of curing with the UV light.

The same technique was used on the V fins.

To glue the wings to the fuselage, I carved out the wing mounting area to fit. Carpenter glue was used to bond the wing in place but.... While holding the wing in place by hand, I applied a drop of UV adhesive at the joints to act as a clamp while the glue died. It worked really well.
Fraser

Boomerang

Coming along nicely Fraser.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Showing excellent promise Fraser.

I have never used that UV drying glue. How do you find it and how secure are the parts?

Lou

Gearup

It seems very strong. I'll go make some test parts to try and illustrate it. The parts I'm using on are very secure. I used it on the Beaver to secure the brass landing gear legs and floats on. It allowed the work to move along quickly.
Here is where I got my resin on the west coast.

https://canada.michaels.com/en/blue-moon-studio-uv-resin-craft-hard-type-resin-0.85oz/10627464.html

Also the little uv flashlight
https://canada.michaels.com/en/blue-moon-studio-uv-resin-craft-12-led-uv-flashlight/10665684.html

Searching for UV resin on Amazon.ca also produces lots of results.

Fraser

lastvautour

with the right mold, I suppose one could make wheels, engine cylinder and the like. I await the completion of the project to further evaluate the resin option.

Lou

Gearup

Continued progress on the FOF3. Attached the winglets and V stab assembly using the UV cured resin.
For the winglets, I carved them from basswood and finished shaping with a dremel sander. Given the size and shape, it was like carving a fingernail... Holding them in place with a long self clamping tweezer and using the UV resin allowed me to position and bond them without any fuss.

To attach the V stab, i used a refined holding fixture. I used a 8"x11" 1/4" thick steel plate I had hidden in the shop. (Some how stuff usually becomes useful) i printed off a grid and secured it to the plate with four 5/16" dia rare earth magnets. I keep a bunch of these on the side of my tool box as they always come in handy for various projects. I fashioned two angle blocks set to the dihedral of one stab relative to level. I drilled a 5/16" hole in the base of the block and drilled a through hole to fit a drift rod. The magnet was a thumb press fit into the block and the drift rod can be used to remove the magnet from the block afterward.

A couple of wood shims under each wing and  larger 3/4" magnets placed on top of each wing of the model securely held it to the plate. The angle blocks were positioned to hold the stab in place. A drop of UV adhesive was applied inside the V to secure it to the fuselage. It cures so fast, but because it needs the UV light, the desired timing of the bond is easy to achieve opposed to CA glue which is all or nothing .
The glue is quite viscous and fill gaps nicely. It also self bonds with the following adhesive layers so the joint can be built up as needed to form a strong fillet. The resulting joint was cured in less than minute and was able to support the weight of the model when held immediately after.

So on to primer and final sanding soon. Also I am going to try and vacuum form a windshield for the open cockpit. More on that later.

Regards,
Fraser

Gearup

BTW. I used a website called https://www.blocklayer.com to make the graph paper. It has a great number of calculators and customizable graphics for everything from printable custom graph paper, scaleing rules, protractors and such to spacing of pickets and roof rafter calculations. Its a fun, interesting and useful too!

Fraser

lastvautour

That is nice to have clamping device. I just hold it in place until the glue dries enough.

Lou

Gearup

Have started the painting of the model: wood - grey automotive primer - black vallejo primer .  Im going to try an aluminium paint finish which looking at the commercial is darker and dulled down.
fraser

lastvautour

Coming along nicely. Silver/metallic finished do not photograph well.

Lou