• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 DH-98 Mosquito

Started by lastvautour, January 22, 2019, 02:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Welcome to SMM Fraser. You may use this subject post for you submissions.

Lou

lastvautour

Fraser's first submissions are his nicely done Sopwith Camel and progress photo of his Mosquito.

Lou for Fraser aka Gearup.

Boomerang

Well  done ! Looking forward updates on  the Mosquito

Gordon

Gearup

Well, I am still working on the mosquito. Waiting for the weather to warm a bit so my shop heater can keep up and allow me to paint. I'll have some more pictures soon when I start to put a bit of color on the model.

lastvautour

Thanks for the updates. I too, look forward to your progress photos.

Lou

Beazld

Gearup

Well I've given up on the weather to warm up a bit, so I think it is warm enough in the shop to start painting.  Here goes the start of the green camouflage on the mosquito.i used the spoon as a test for the airbrush to see if the flow is good. Also since they are a compound curved 3D styrene plastic, they are also good to try out masking techniques. I am using a 500 watt equivalent LED work light. Nice hard bright white light and it stays cool to the touch too.

lastvautour

Looks great. Send more pictures. What type of wood did you use?

Lou

Model Maker

Hi Fraser

Looks very good. I see you control surface lines are very crisp looking. Do you mind if I ask which tool you use to scribe the lines? I'm still struggling with obtaining crisp lines like you have.

-ken

Gearup

it is spruce that I try to pick out at the Home Depot.  Looking through the stacks will generally produce at least one nice, light, tight grain, dry quarter-sawn 1x6 free enough of knots.

For scribing the lines I watched a YouTube video "Creating scribed detail". The author uses dental tools but I tried another tool. I used a 4/0 fishhook modified and fitted into a exacto style blade holder. I pinched the barb down with pliers, straightened it slightly then cut it off from the shank. The hook tip is actually triangular in cross section. If you then take and work the tip against a fine sharpening stone you will end up with a triangular facet.  I used 0.003" brass cut to strips as a straight edge that was attached to the model with painters double-sided tape. A light touch works really well.

buccfan

Looking good. Regards Paul J.

Boomerang

Gearup

Thank you. Here is a picture of the remaining piece of wood for the next project.  It's 7 inches wide and the grain is absolutely straight on the length. Probably spruce. The growth rings average about 25 per inch

Gearup

Canopy masking experiment. I Used a Silhouette Cameo 3 cutter to creat 0.050" tape strips. The tape is applied to wax paper and the cutter blade depth is set to cut the tape but not the wax paper. A 2"x12" strip of scotch 233+ tape produced 16 feet of strips. The blue paint is just a brushed test color. I still have to figure what color to use for the "glass".

lastvautour