• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Favorite Books.

Started by R.F.Bennett, December 31, 2007, 05:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.F.Bennett

Post your favorite Modeling or reference books here. No sales Please.
"The Dude Abides"

Oceaneer99

Modelmaking by H.S. Coleman
1949 Thomas Y. Crowell Company, New York
87 pages, illustrated with two-color line drawings

Little general information, but includes plans for:
•   toy sailing Yacht
•   Galleon "The Golden Hind"
•   operating marine steam plant
•   waterline model refrigerated cargo Liner "Essex"
•   flying model cabin airplane
•   solid scale model Vickers Viking airliner

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-71

lastvautour

Garet, may I have a copy of the Vickers Vicking drawings? Thanks. If copyright is not an issue, perhaps you can post on the gallery.

Lou

Oceaneer99

Lou, I'll send you the plans as I have them now.  They need restoration before going up on the site.

Garet

lastvautour

Thanks Garet, I received them.

Lou

Mark Braunlich

A favorite book:   The Model Plane Annual 1944 by David C. Cooke.

Many black and white photos of the Kettering solid collection now in the USAF Museum.  Scale: 4mm=1' or 1/76.2.  I believe this is an old British model railroading scale.

Also plans for the following solids:
P-40F
Bristol Beaufort
Handley Page Hampden
P-47B
P-39 (early)
Douglas Dauntless
Curtiss SBC-4
Curtiss P-6E
Spitfire Mk.1
Macchi C.200
Bf-109E
SPAD XIII
Nieuport 17
Fokker D.VII
Fokker D.VIII
Junkers Ju.87B

Balsabasher

Can I also have a copy Garet please ? the Vickers Viking is one of my favourite piston airliners and I want to build a solid from those plans,thank you,Barry.

Quote from: Oceaneer99 on January 01, 2008, 06:27:41 PM
Modelmaking by H.S. Coleman
1949 Thomas Y. Crowell Company, New York
87 pages, illustrated with two-color line drawings

Little general information, but includes plans for:
•   toy sailing Yacht
•   Galleon "The Golden Hind"
•   operating marine steam plant
•   waterline model refrigerated cargo Liner "Essex"
•   flying model cabin airplane
•   solid scale model Vickers Viking airliner

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-71

Mark Crowel

Copyright 1956, by Funk & Wagnalls Company, New York.  The author shows plans and photos of the solid balsa model cars he built, all powered by electric motors, gas engines (model airplane type engines), or Jetex (for the rocket powered car).

Also shown are photos of model cars scratchbuilt by boys who won the various design contests sponsored by General Motors and Ford.  Great '50's "dream car" designs.

There is something special about building a model from scratch and forming your own parts, that brings a satisfaction that no plastic kit can give.

Walter A. Musciano is probably better known as a model airplane designer.

Balsabasher

Well said Mark,your choice reminds me of 'The Eagle book of balsa models' crammed with projects to transfer to balsa and build,they just do not produce books like that now,and by books I mean proper paper versions and not these dreadful electronic things.
Barry.

Oceaneer99

Ah, yes, I believe the Eagle book was also published under the name "Bill Dean's Book of Balsa Models".  That was a favorite of mine, and my name was listed on the card in the book at the library over and over again.

Garet

Balsabasher

I must locate that as there will be plans suitable for our archive,good traceable drawings no fussy detail just the basic requirements,the 'Eagle' comic also had some excellent cutaway drawings in it every week of fine machines,L.Ashwell-Wood my hero artist often suggested makng models from balsawood in the write ups,this was at a time when youngsters appreciated proper factual things,today the toy shelves seem orientated towards sci-fi and nothing else ? the wonderment of flight and how a large bridge held together made boys into men who went and designed things ala Frank Hornby and his Meccano system,I call these the golden years,thankfully we still have plenty of material from the past to call upon and keep building the way we did back thenl.
Barry.

animek

Anyone has in hand this book ? "How to build a model navy" from (Gilmore, Horace Herman) http://www.amazon.com/build-model-Horace-Herman-Gilmore/dp/B0007EKA5E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296438616&sr=1-3 , and can tell me if it is worth the $60 lowest value I can find.   I've been trying to find a cheaper copy for the last 2 years, and I was not able to.

I got this book for $15, "United States Navy waterline models and how to build them" From (John Philips Cranwell), http://www.amazon.com/United-States-waterline-models-build/dp/B0007DSBF6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296438616&sr=1-2 a really banged up copy, but I like it very much, so I'm trying to find out if the (How to build a model navy) copy is worth it, regarding quality of plans, details and explanations, all compared to the waterline navy book.

Thanks

Ben

Jim

I've got the "US Navy waterline Models" book -- which is wonderful -- and James Hay Stevens's "Scale Model Aircraft" book as well, both of which I bought through Amazon, I believe. The Stevens book came with an added little bonus:  There's a pocket inside the cover that holds a large-scale drawing of a Hawker Hart (IIRC), which was too large to print full-size in the book format. Tucked in with the Hart drawing are several small-scale tracings on onionskin paper of a couple other model aircraft not featured in the book, which some industrious prior owner many years ago had made and saved with it. A Fokker Triplane and a Phalz, IIRC. Nice little added bonus, with a bit of history thrown in. Makes me think about who the mystery modeler might have been, and what became of him...

Anyway, those two are my favorites so far...
And so it goes...

Oceaneer99

Ben,

I have both "How to Build a Model Navy" and "Untied States Waterline Models", and the USWM book is far superior.  Gilmore's book is more simplistic and not necessarily to scale.  The PT boat I built was from his Model Navy book, and scans of that plan are in the gallery, and also scans of the USS Talbot model.

See: http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=38

Garet

Balsabasher

Quote from: Fingers on January 31, 2011, 03:40:44 AM
Tucked in with the Hart drawing are several small-scale tracings on onionskin paper of a couple other model aircraft not featured in the book, which some industrious prior owner many years ago had made and saved with it. A Fokker Triplane and a Phalz, IIRC. Nice little added bonus, with a bit of history thrown in. Makes me think about who the mystery modeler might have been, and what became of him...

Anyway, those two are my favorites so far...

Thats really added a personal touch to that little book,now why dont you scan those tracings and put them with the plans ? I for one would love to build a model of them exactly as presented to honour this gentleman and what he did,to scan them simply place a piece of white paper behind the tracing,that is all you have to do to bring out the whiteness to the drawing.
Barry.