• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Dazzle ship fleet finally finished

Started by Dave T, December 14, 2021, 04:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave T

In 2018 there were a lot of articles about the 100-year anniversary of the end of WWI. One of the stories was about a war department that designed dazzle schemes for ships. https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/dazzle-paint-wwi-us-navy I believe the idea started in England to not so much camouflage ships, but distort their appearance as a defense against u-boats. The photos inspired me to try painting some myself. I used a children's wooden model kit of the Titanic and modified the simplistic design quite a bit. I bought them wholesale for $2.15 each from an online distributor. All of my schemes are based on real designs that I modified to fit the cartoon-like "Titanic".  The kit is by the company Darice, and it appears the source for them disappeared during the pandemic.

I don't know why so many and it took three years, but anyway...

lastvautour

You were surely busy. I love the modified transport fleet with all those different camouflage schemes.

Lou

lastvautour

A closer look reveals awesome replicas of historical "Dazzle" camouflage. I particularly like the port holes and support structure. These features really make the models stand out. Thank you for posting Dave.

Lou

Gearup

Well I must say, they are dazzling....
That was a very unique way of showing the various dazzle schemes using the same hull form. I really enjoyed seeing how the ship is broken up using this camouflage.
Great modelling subject!

thanks,
Fraser

Dave T

Boomerang

An excellent project Dave.

Superb finish on all of them.

I have often looked at the camouflage experiments on aircraft in WW2.

Cheers

Gordon

Dave T

lastvautour

Dazzle Camouflage Part One.

Various Royal Navy/Us Navy camouflage schemes are usually called measures. To this end I have grouped Dave's excellent Olympic Class Troop Transports. Measures are listed on the photos. Measure 01 is top image, 02 second, 03 third and 04 forth 05 Top etc...

Lou

lastvautour

Dazzle Camouflage Part Two.
v
Various Royal Navy/Us Nay camouflage schemes are usually called measures. To this end I have grouped Dave's excellent Olympic Class Troop Transports. Measures are listed on the photos. Measure 01 is top image, 02 second, 03 third and 04 forth 05 Top etc...

Lou

Dave T

Thanks Lou for adding the additional information. I think a few modern day cruise ships should be painted like these.

lastvautour

I particularly love the contrast with the un-camouflaged version and how different it looks. All will be included in the yearbook in groups of two as per your email to me. Thank you for sending them.

Lou