• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

P-51D Mustang

Started by lastvautour, December 23, 2011, 05:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Cliff you did an excellent job with your Mustang. I posted a picture to the Model of the Year folder. Your photos are also great with that background.

Lou

cliff strachan

Thanks Lou. But I haven't actually drawn attention to them as I normally do because, in my mind, it is not yet finished. Or again perhaps it is. I generally like to be satisfied that a model isfinished or taken as far as planned.But in this case I had planned, or the plans, call for undercarriage and photos in front of the old hangar at Gimli. But this is turning out to be much harder than anticipated. Therefore, it may be finished at this aerial stage - or perhaps not. However, not intending to complicate matters more, I thought that as I generally borrow the use of the computer at Creative Retirement and they will be closed over Christmas I should post what I have to date. Then should I continue with the gear and you actually don't end 2011's submissions until sometime in January I'll submit as in the past. Something like that.
Cliff.

cliff strachan

I've uploaded a couple of photos of my P51D Mustang as it appears at Gimli. It now shows the undercarriage in place. It would appear that the "Ghost" of this aircraft is now preparing to depart for some unknown destination.
http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/10010/normal_P51_Mustang_-_4.jpg
The scale of my model is: 1/84
Its length is:4.5 inches.
Materials used: Balsa Wood;
                       Pins - three for wheels;
                       Plastic - Moulded canopy using vacuum forming device.
                       Aluminum - Tail wheel doors.
Painting: Primarily using Testor's Silver Enamel with Glosscoat to coat the silver enamel and protect the decals;
Decals by Pete at Spare Time Hobbies.
Another photo:
Why I chose this aircraft to model and its significance to aviation history: Primarily because the aircraft was in itself of significance during the Second War. Also, on a personal note, it offered a particular challenge to a modeller returning to the hobby: Moulding parts;painting with enamel;using an airbrush (Aztec Single Action External Mix), and finally, the scale.

The Plans: Posted on"Member Submitted Plans"

lastvautour

Very realistic photos Cliff. A job well done.

Lou

Balsabasher

Creative retirement resources have done you proud,the model has turned out great.
Barry.