• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Flight of fancy MKIII - FOF3

Started by Gearup, November 02, 2021, 12:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearup

Quote from: lastvautour on November 10, 2021, 09:11:26 PM
with the right mold, I suppose one could make wheels, engine cylinder and the like. I await the completion of the project to further evaluate the resin option.

Lou

I may have an answer on the holding strength of the UV adhesive. During shelf cleaning, a crystal mouse I had repaired was accidentally dropped from about 6 feet onto a laminate floor. I had previously attached the two ears, metal tail and the base with the UV adhesive. It is shaped like a faceted ball with a flat base. The mouse popped off the base where it was bonded on a triangular area about 1/4" on a side.  The ears and tail remained bonded even though they were much smaller areas.  I suspect I did not clean the failed joint adequatly during the repair. The mouse is larger than a golf ball and weighs 5 oz! So i think it passed the drop test :D

Fraser

Boomerang

Looking great so far Fraser.

Gordon

Gearup

Well I have a vacuum forming post that I think will be better served in a separate thread, so I will create one.

So please  go to " Vacuum forming tool construction, materials and technique " for the posts on the vacuum forming tools and technique I have experimented with.
Regards,
Fraser

Gearup

So I have completed the FOF3.
This model was a great learning experience for me as I did a few firsts. I made an open cockpit with a carved pilot figure and a vacuum formed plastic windshield. I use the UV resin for many of the assemblies and tried for an over all aluminium looking finish. Plus this was a fictional model that allowed a bit of creative liberty in the design.

I used a Dremel to create the cockpit. I have found that the carbide round nosed 1/8 cutter is the most controllable for me. It did not tend to grab with the rounded nose. An instrument panel was made using a brother P-touch label maker with white lettering on black tape . Using the smallest font, I made a double row of four O's to look like gauges. I trimmed the tape to fit and it seemed to work out well.

Since this is the first airborne model, it had to have a pilot.

The pilot figure is a bust that I carved using the Dremel and small burrs. I basically mounted a small length of 1/4 inch hardwood dowel stuck to the end of another length of 5/16 dowel to use as a handle. So I carved what in hoped was a passable head and shoulders and painted it with the smallest brushes I could find. It was actually a lot of fun making the little pilot for this project.

I then made a small base from scrap walnut and a length of 1/8 stainless steel rod I found. Drilling the mounting hole in the bottom of the model was actually a bit nerve wracking to start out with. Of course I had visions of it grabbing and flinging across the shop, but that was not the case. This was probably as a result of the cut in my thumb that I got from an errant metal plate grabbing the bit on my drill press during another recent project ( yes I let my guard  slip against my better judgement and did not clamp the piece down....my bad)

For the canopy I vacuumed formed one from a clear plastic dinner plate. The process is described in the separate post on vacuum forming. I attached it using the UV adhesive. The next one should go better....

I liked the look of no propeller stopped In mid air, but I did not make a disk either. Part of the FOF3 was to imagine that perfect nearly  invisible blur of a polished aluminium prop.

Anyways it was a fun model to build and after I completed it, I see that there was an all electric plane that set a speed record for electric flight. It looks very close to the FOF3 but with a conventional tail and closed cockpit. Maybe another project in the future. No need to model exhaust stacks....

Regards
Fraser

Boomerang

An excellent result . Well Done Fraser .

Gordon

lastvautour

Fraser, that is a magnificent replica of the aircraft shown on the commercial. Congratulations.

Lou

PS. May I post your unique creation at various Facebook groups. I am sure it will appreciated by all.

Gearup

Yes of course you can post the pictures. Let me know which groups you post it on as I'd like to check out the sites too.
Fraser

lastvautour

lastvautour

lastvautour

lastvautour