• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 DH-98 Mosquito

Started by lastvautour, January 22, 2019, 02:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

That's fantastic work; thank you for sharing your technique with us.

Gearup

I enjoy the problem solving when building the models.

lastvautour

Excellent workmanship.

Gearup

Hello All.
I recently came across several very nice wooden models in North Bay Ontario at the local museum. Cessna 180, otter, Norsemen, Dash7, CHAMP 7ac, piper cub, canadair cl415, T33 and  CF 100. They were hung in pairs to a six foot long pole and suspended from a shaft from the ceiling. The visitor could push a button causing the rig to spin and the speed could be controlled as well  with appropriate sound. As they moved in the circle above,  the propellers windmilled rather convincingly. Great display!

The models were very well made. I asked the reception who made them, but she didn't really know.
. Can anyone verify the builder?

lastvautour

Do you have pictures?

Lou

Gearup

If do but I am having problems with photo attachments. Any ideas.

lastvautour

Chances are they are to large. email them to me. Check my member's profile for the address.

Lou

Gearup

Here is another try at uploading the pictures.
Very well made solid models at the North Bay Ontario museum. Any ideas on the maker?

Fraser

lastvautour

Thank you for your photos. I would dearly love to have that CF-100.

Lou

Gearup

A bit of progress on the mosquito project. Working on the propeller blades.

Here is a process that I am using to make the blades. I  made a die cutter to provide blanks for the blades from Popsicle sticks. The die cutter is comprised of two single sided razor blades given a curve. They are relatively easy to bend but remember - these are razor blades! The blades are placed with the arcs opposed and the ends together. The two blades are held together using zap straps however the ends could be soldered in the future versions. Now you have a die cutter.

Place the die cutter on top of the Popsicle stick and set them on a block of wood. I am lucky to have a small arbor press that allows for a more controlled application of force to the cutter. It works equally as well using a hammer to give the die cutter a light blow to cut the blank.

You now have a nice consistent blade blank to work with. I next used a chisel to cut the tip of the blades to length. Then using a backstop as described in a post by Model Maker (5 February 2017) I used a 3/4 inch chisel to cut the blade profile on one side then flipped it over to do the same on the other. A bit of filing and sandpaper to round the tip and smooth the blades for primer.

For the root of the blade, this particular profile allowed the sharp root to fit a 3/32 hole to anchor the blade ( as seen by the blade holder in the pictures). I will be drilling three equidistant holes in the spinners on the model. Of course I should have planned these holes first, but oh well....

Using the little jewellers vice really helped in handling the small blades for sanding.

Hope you find this die cutter technique useful.

Fraser

Gearup

picture of die cutter

buccfan

Great idea Fraser, thanks for the tutorial. Regards Paul J.

Gearup

Started on the landing gear for the mosquito. I really like the clean look of the aircraft with the gear ups, but I also want to have the model displayed with the gear down. At the same time, I don't want the gear drilled into the bottom of the nacelle. What i am intending to do, is have the gear act more as a stand for the model so it van be viewed either way. I still need to make the doors but they will be attached to the gear assembly. We'll see how that alll works out.
Attached are pictures of the fabrication of the gear struts.
I cut the 3/16 tube to length then inserted the lower leg into the tube and squashed it to an oval ever the lower leg. I flattened one end of the lower legs and drilled a .050 hole for the axel. I did the same for the aft braces and added a small bevel to the other end. I located three points on the plane and drilled hoes for the .050 wire pins to complete a soldering jig. When cleaned and fluxed, a bit of heat from the torch and a drop of solder held everything together. I still have a bit of cleanup and file work, but it has been a lot of fun making the gear.

Fraser

buccfan

Nice job Fraser. Regards Paul J.

Gearup

Thanks. I just realized I gave the wrong drill size. It is a #58 (.042"). This gives a nice fit for the .040" wire. A small center drill was used to provide a starting point for the #58 drill as it will definitely wander.