• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 DH-98 Mosquito

Started by lastvautour, January 22, 2019, 02:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model Maker

Hi Fraser

Thanks for the reply on scribing the lines. I've tried the dental tool approach, but it doesn't seem to work too well on pine if the grain is not uniform or if you need to go cross grain such as at the ends of the control surfaces. I'll have to try the fish hook approach.

Greatly appreciated - ken

Gearup

Masking..doing it a bit backward as I should have done the underside grey first. Oh well.
Re the scribing, I had a few coats of high build primer and tried to barely score through it. It did work nicely even when the scribe line is not parallel to the grain direction. I guess the point is to try and scribe the paint while avoiding the actual wood underneath until a good line is established.

lastvautour

Thanks for the progress reports. It is nice to follow the progression of a project.

Lou

Gearup

Masking. Layered painters tape over wax paper to act as a peelable backing.. Using an old film slide-sorter light-box, i traced over a full size paint scheme onto the tape. Cut the mask out and filled in the gaps. I plan on painting it with the invasion stripes over the camo layers. That's the way the paint scheme was applied in the field.

lastvautour

Nicely done. Looking forward to the completion.

Lou

Gearup

The mosquito gets its invasion stripes. I have a few paint scars that need touch up. I think I have an adhesion issue with some spots over the primer. The regular painters tap did lift a few spots. I suspect not adequately cleaned of finger prints. So now onto markings and canopy.

lastvautour

Lovely camouflage work. I look forward to further pictures.

Lou

Boomerang

Looking good Fraser.

Gordon

Gearup

Rondels painted on upper wing done, now for the fuselage sides. Those could be more challenging with four rings and four colours.

lastvautour

Gearup

Thanks. Seeing some color really starts to bring the model alive.

Gearup

Well, I have a bit of downtime after a very busy spring. So I thought I'd tackle the type C1 side rondel.

The circle masks were cut using a Silhouette Cameo machine and the Silhouette design studio software. Designing was easy; four concentric circles at a ratio of 3:4:8:9 and resizing the group to scale.
The blue masking material is "removable" vinyl and is cut on the machine. The square mask was applied first. The circle was then painted white as a bas color. Using the small brush I painted around the outer diameter about 2 mm wide. The inside line can be a bit messy but try to maintain the isthmus minimum 2 mm. Let dry.

Now I removed the large ring from the backing paper and applied it over the yellow paint making sure it was concentric to the outer mask. The yellow will still be visible on the inside of this ring. To ensure no blue bleed through onto the yellow, I painted over the ringed mask inner edge with yellow to seal the edge. Put the smallest circle mask concentric to the other masks. Paint white over the inner and outer edges of the this mask and let dry.

Paint the blue between the large ring and the outer edge of the small ring and then paint the red centre. Peal off the masks and that should be it.

Consider the rings are only 1 mm wide, so the mask is a bit finicky to place but the vinyl can be moved and placed several times and it maintained its shape and sharp edge

Fraser

Gearup

for some reason the picture is upside down, but it still works ;)

buccfan

Excellent work on the markings Fraser, regards Paul J.

Gearup

Thanks. Here are pics of the mask removal and lettering underway on the fuselage. Few touch-ups to do. I may have to start taking fuzzier pictures...the hard light I'm using makes it look a bit rough. At least thats the theory  ;).
Fraser