• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Strombecker DC-3

Started by Joe, January 30, 2010, 04:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Gents,

Another project that is underway is the restoration of a Strombecker DC-3.  Attached are photos of the as-received model.  For reasons of brevity, I have not included photos of the dismantled, sanded, and sanding-sealered model.  Instead, I have limited this exposition to three views of the model with its first coat of primer.

Perhaps of note is what I did with regard to the wing fillet.  Strombecker called for a piece of cardboard to serve that function.  That seemed a little out of character for a quality model.  So, I deviated from the instructions and made a fillet from a piece of 1/8" thick clear white pine.  I then glued and pegged it to the fuselage, added some plastic wood and faired the assembly to fuselage and wing.   Other than that, the re-assembly was very vanilla...

Now for more sanding, filling, priming, etc., etc., etc., etc....  And, of course, followed by the usual suspects....
Joe

Balsabasher

Joe these old models and your sympathetic to period restorations are great,just enough work to bring them up to standard and preservation,woderful and keep up the good work.
Barry.

Joe

Barry,

Thanks for the kind words.  Since most of the members make models from scratch, I appreciate your indulging me in my passion.  I, too, have unbuilt kits that likely will remain that way forever.  I use them for their plans, paint schemes, and decals for reproduction.  It just seems to me that bringing back a neglected vintage model is worth the extra effort.  At present, my shop has a dozen or so of these discarded "toys" that await some TLC.  They will all keep me joyously busy for some time. 

And, just to get my Union Card properly punched I am now beginning the assembly process for my first scratch-built in 50 years.  In addition, I selecting a second such project to be started sometime around the Autumnal Equinox...

Thanks, again,

Joe