• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Lockheed P-38

Started by Paul, April 26, 2009, 01:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Also in progress a Lockheed P-38F in 1/72nd scale.  Rather than cut blocks out of the booms and fuselage to accept the wings I'm cutting mortises for the wing to pass through.  I'm probably making more work for myself but I'm keeping myself amused.  I built a jig for cutting the mortises on the scrollsaw.  I notched a board on the tablesaw with the dihedral angle, then drilled a hole for the scrollsaw blade to pass through.  The blank sticks to the jig with double-sided tape.

lastvautour

Excellent idea. Thanks for sharing your technique.

Lou

Paul

Making progress....found a good reference for the P-38.  Bert Kinzey has a series of books covering various historical military airplanes(published by Squadron).  Each documents the History of the plane and how its appearance changed over time, including scale drawings (although no cross-sections).

lastvautour

Very nice looking Lightning. Keep us in the loop. Excellent work so far.

Lou

Paul

Making slow progress on the P-38.  Major assembly complete and most shaping and filling done.  Still needs superchargers and tail shaping.  After gluing up the major components I found that my center pod was pointing slightly to port, ARRRGH!  I wound up sawing most of the way through the nose  so that I could bend it toward the kerf side.  Still not perfect but it looks better than it did.  I guess I've learned to build an assembly jig next time I have a glue up like this. Zucchini is coming along too.

lastvautour

This will be a fantastic P-38. Keep those photos coming.

cliff strachan

A very nice P38, Paul. What scale is it? And are you using Balsa? It sort of looks like balsa.

Cliff.

Paul

Hi Cliff,
   she is 1/72nd scale just under 9" wingspan.  I'm using basswood for this one, I like the even grain of basswood and its ability to hold detail without chunks splitting off. 

Paul

After neglecting my solids for a while I'm now making progress again.  P-38 now primed with some details added.

lastvautour

Looks great Paul. There a many schemes for the P-38. What have you chosen?

Lou

Paul

Finally got some paint on the P-38.  I'm going with basic O.D. over neutral gray.  I think I will finish her as an 'F' so I'll have a variety of national markings to choose from. (red circles in the stars, no red, red around stars and bars....)  I'll decide when I get that far.

lastvautour

Great work. I love the details on the superchargers.

Lou

Balsabasher

Looks superb even in the grey primer,a fine ID model.
Barry.

Paul

P-38F is nearly done! Just a protective topcoat left to do.  She is basswood.  The stand is from tanoak, the superchargers are made from paper, wire, and brass tube. The radio aerials are fishing line.  The national markings were donated by a plastic kit.  Serial numbers are from woodland scenics dry transfers.  The panel lines were drawn on with colored pencil.  Exhaust stains are artists oils.

http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/displayimage.php?album=216&pos=14

Balsabasher

Paul you have got it just right,just enough detail is all you need at these scales,well done and I am going to try the coloured pencil technique as well.
Barry.