• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

2022 July Ping

Started by lastvautour, July 01, 2022, 09:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Firstly, Happy Canada Day and shortly, Happy 4th of July.
Forum activities for June. 7 new topics, 149 new post and 112363 views.
Gallery: 8,376 files in 349 albums and 17 categories with 749 comments viewed 4,212,878 times.

33 new models were submitted in the first half of the year with eight being done during June:
Jim aka Fingers - Bristol Scout C1

Lou aka Lastvautour - CH-113A Voyageur,  H-5 Dragonfly, Fairchild 71, H-19 Chickasaw, H-21 Flying Banana, H-34 Choctaw, CH-113 Labrador

Lou

lastvautour

Currently on my bench:
1/144 CH-136 Kiowa - Drawings printed and wood selected
1/72 Argus back on the bench. Wings and engine nacelles sanded
1/72 Avro Anson primed and touch up putty applied
1/72 Airspeed Oxford components rough sanded
1/32 De Havilland Canada Otter fuselage block form
Many project swimming in my head

Lou

Boomerang

Greetings all.

BAT FK26 - Stalled on the rigging

SISKIN - No further progress.

Created some dust and shavings on a 1/60 model .

Putting together a electric ducted fan Hawker Hunter for my son using recycled bits from a foam DH Vampire that was no longer flyable.

Cold over here (but not as cold as Canada). Had to get glue to operating temperature in order for it to work.

Stay safe.

Gordon

lastvautour

Thank you for the update Gordon.

I forgot to add I have a 1/72 Northrop Delta on my bench.

Lou

Boomerang

Saw the Delta. The RAAF had one (impressed) during WW2.

Note to self. Ensure all appendages are clear of EDF when doing a test run.

This might have slipped under the radar but the RAN FAA had it's 75th anniversary on the 3rd of July.

Might start something before the end of the year.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

HMAS Melbourne R21 would be a great tribute. She could sail with my HMCS Bonaventure.

Jim

In progress: a Roland D-II.
And so it goes...

lastvautour

I look forward to its completion Jim.

Lou

Boomerang

Lou,
I agree the a Melbourne would be a good idea. It would take me a fair while though.
I am pondering on a couple of ideas.

Jim,

Looking forward to the Roland.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

The one pictured above is 1/350 scale. I used the articles on the Bonnie to help me make mine.

Lou

Gearup

Well, I had the fantastic opportunity to visit Lou and his wife as we were passing though the area on vacation. Thank you for your hospitality and your incredible collection of aviation history as told by your modelling.
For the bench, well as mentioned before I am at a standstill while awaiting kitchen repairs. The Orta will be resuming ASAP!
Fraser

Gearup

Lou. Just noticed the CH34 Choctaw is in the same colors as the one on display here in Langley. It has not faired too well on the west coast due to the corrosion of the magnesium airframe. The paint is becoming a structural component for the airframe indeed!  Also just found that the airframe has been traded (bought?) by a collector and will be leaving the museum shortly.
Fraser

lastvautour

Too bad, as we are slowly loosing some of our rarer birds to private collectors or the elements.

Lou

Gearup

Apparently its final destination may be a hot dog stand ::)
Just loading out today. It surprised me that the entire power train did not pull out when they lifted it as the airframe has so many corroded through panels!
Fraser

lastvautour

Those lift links were pretty strong. I don't know about the Chickasaw lift link, but the Twin Huey's is wrapped synthetic fiber. Thanks for the photo.

Lou