1/32 Armstrong Whitworth Siskin IIIA completed 29 DEC 2022

Started by Boomerang, February 04, 2022, 06:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

Propeller nearly done.

Gordon

lastvautour

Boomerang

Looking at photos it looks like a metal spinner over the boss. Painted silver.
The lower portion of the blades are a dark colour. Yet to be determined. Can't tell if the rest of the blades painted or vanished wood.

Some pictures have a metal cowling over the engine wobbly bits.

So if some body has any ideas I'm open.

Cheers

Gordon

Gearup

Hey Gordon.
The first aerobatic team in Canada was "The Siskins". The flew the Siskin in a flight of three from 1929-1934. The book "Tradition of Excellence" written by Danial Dempsey has several pages devoted to the team and the aircraft. What sort of detail are you looking for?
BTW it is an excellent book with over 700 pages with many interviews of the pilots that flew for the various teams over the years.

Fraser

Boomerang

G'day Fraser. Good to hear from you.

Looking at the pictures on page 1 there is a "dark " colour at the root of the blades. Not quite sure what it could be.

Next were the blades left as vanished wood or painted?

Most of the pictures that I can find have the "spinner" or propeller boss painted "silver" ?. Some Brit ones had it painted "red" or left as polished wood.

Cheers

Gordon

Gearup

Found this color drawing by Canadian artist Graham Wagg displayed in the Canadian war museum in Ottawa.
Fraser

https://www.warmuseum.ca/collections/artifact/1032451

Gearup

The blade root (cuff) has been painted the same color as the spinner on this aircraft. The blades themselves appear to be wood coloured, so probably varnish to allow inspection of the blades in service.
Fraser

Boomerang

Thanks Fraser.

Made me look a bit closer at pic of "20" on page 1. Will go with "dark" green cuff ,spinner and stripe at centre section of top wing.

Back to the bench.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Apologies for being a bit of a gray man. Been tied up with a couple of things plus doing the propellers for the Siskin and BAT.

Cheers

Gordon

Gearup

Beautiful engine and prop assembly. Very clean look indeed.
Fraser

lastvautour

Excellent engine and propeller combination. Very impressive Gordon.

Lou

Boomerang

Thank you Lou. Pushing on slowly.

Gordon

Boomerang

Love the BIG roundels. Paper cut out used to check size. Need to adjust diameter slightly.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Gearup

I agree. Excellent detail and very interesting to look at
Fraser