• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/32 Sopwith Triplane commenced 2 Jan 2021 Completed 3 Mar 2022

Started by Boomerang, January 02, 2021, 01:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

A better picture. Still learning alternate technology.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

lastvautour

Excellent ribbing on both the fuselage and the wings.

Lou

Boomerang

Have put dihedral into lower and top wings. Struts cut out. Just have to be a bit careful with the middle wing.

Gordon

Boomerang

Some progress.

Wheels done. Propeller done . I have cut it down from a previous effort. The wood laminations will disappear as most of the photos show a solid
  colour. Struts are 1mm ply . Coat of white primer then base of Raw sienna and Burnt Sienna brushed on.

Decal added to fin. Necessary holes drilled for control runs and horns. Just have to check the rigging positions through the centre wing.

Just clipped together. A short circuit taken around the room.

The sweep back on middle wings is not scale. Need some strut adjustment. Might need to knock up a jig. Run out of hands and fingers holding things.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Gearup

Nice to see the progress on the Triplane, Gordon. Looking forward to more pictures.
Fraser

Boomerang

Thank you Fraser and Lou.

Spent yesterday opening up the cockpit and and experimenting with making a jacket for the Vickers guns.

N534 was one of the ones ( N533-538) built with twin Vickers Mg's.

Seems to have worked. It's a bit easier than perforated jacket on Spandau's .

Pictures to follow.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

A couple of productive days done.

Undercarriage legs done using bent then flattened brass tube. Still have to work out the (travel stops ?) and the articulated spreader bar.

2 Vickers guns nearly done. Still have to make up the belt and case chutes.

Started on cowling . Getting the profile right before strengthening and then cleaning out with rotary tool.

Couple of cylinders to go using bamboo skewer with thin wire wrap.

Have put a coat of Clear doped linen on lower surfaces and Vallejo Flat Brown on top. Not going to fret over PC10 or 12 and what shade it should
Be.

Picture to follow.

Cheers

Gordon 

Boomerang

Undercarriage and cowl done.

Undercarriage articulated spreaders done using brass tube . Travel stops from copper wire.

Looks the part.

Next the engine.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Very nice Gordon. Keep those progress shots coming.

Lou

Boomerang

Thank you Lou.

I have started on engine crankcase .

Progressing slowly.

Gordon

Gearup

Boomerang

They are. Just taking my time. Not happy with the cylinders so will attempt to improve them.

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

I think I have improved the cylinders.

Thought I would attempt the firewall engine mount with paint. Should provide a sense of depth when cowling goes on.

Cheers

Gordon