• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/32 Fokker Triplane Started July 2018 completed 31 DEC 2020

Started by Boomerang, October 31, 2020, 11:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

I think I started this one for the Armistice Cook -Up but events over took it. It has lived in a tin and occasionally bits get pulled out ,fiddled with and put back. 

So I clipped it together the other night and this is where it is at.

Made up some U/c legs out of flatted brass tube . The propeller has been done. Some dowel has had a steel nut run down it for cylinders. The cowling is being worked on ( still attached to a length of 30mm balsa dowel. I am going to do the engine the way I did it on the Fokker D VIII  ( only need 4 cylinders ).

Now to a colour scheme . Mmmmmmmm

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Looks great Gordon. I have a few of those waiting in the box projects also. Cook-ups never close!

Lou

Boomerang

It will not have any red on it. Found a couple of schemes that are interesting .

I have a several in storage . Siskin ,CAC 15, Supermarine Southampton and an XP-77.

Now to start making some wheels and sort some decals out.

Cheers

Gordon

Gearup

Hello Gordon. Looks great with the scallops.

Boomerang

Thanks Fraser.

Where the Triplane is at .

Cheers

Gordon

Boomerang

Where the Fokker is at.

Nothing is glued yet except the undercarriage legs to the aerofoil . I've read a couple of build articles for plastic kits and seems the best way is to paint the component parts and then stick them all together.

So practicing "Fokker Streaky Green". The top wing will be Black and white diagonal stripes.

cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

There are so many schemes for the DR 1 and the DV II that have no red. The steak look will look great.  Mine is also 1/32 and flown by the Red Baron's cousin. Maybe we can have a mock dog fight

Lou

Gearup

When you look at all the various lifting surfaces on the aircraft, no wonder it performed so well for it's time. Even the landing gear fairing looks like a fourth wing.
Fraser

Boomerang

Lou,
I did look at that colour scheme and acouple of others with yellow on them but I like this one.

Ernst Udets.

Where I am so far.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

buccfan

Very nice Gordon, just seen this streaky green example on Fighter Control today. Regards Paul J. https://www.flickr.com/photos/elaref/44094813902/

Boomerang

Thanks Paul. Ahh streaky green.

Where the DR-1 is at . The only bits glued are the the undercarriage legs. The rest is just clipped together.

Decals are done except for Starboard side and under the wings.

Bit of touching up to do. Cowling still attached to 30 mm balsa dowel.

On the end of the bamboo skewer is first attempt at an LMG08/15 with the lightened cooling jacket.

At 1/32 its 9 mm in circumference. I wet some paper with a 50/50 mix of water/PVA after marking everything out. Let it dry.
Then punched out the holes with my home made punch. The skewer was cut down  , the paper wrapped around and glued. Given 2 coats of " gun metal" and a barrel.
The receivers will be 3/32 basswood . I'll think about various other bits , Pads and central cocking handle.

To me it looks a bit better than some black painted dowel

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Great looking guns. I should try that on my next WWI project. Love the colour scheme.

Lou

Boomerang

There is a metal top deck forward of the cockpit. There is also a metal fairing on the underside of the middle wing fuselage junction.

I think I have achieved the top one. I used heavy weight note paper socked for about 10-15 seconds and then molded into place.

It is a straight line cockpit to cowling.

The one on the model is the one I will use. The other one worked but I needed to fill the gap. This is shown with the "panel" removed.
Used Blue Tac which was mild hindrance getting it off. Doing the bottom ones. I'll see what happens with Light primer or may go with a coat of dope first.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

I missed out on the metal upper deck. My research was obviously flawed. Great idea to use paper.

Lou