• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Canadair Argus CP107 1/48 Scale ......................(Completed 21 April 2017)

Started by lastvautour, June 13, 2008, 01:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Once all wire wraps are in place with a bit of glue, a large nail cutter is used to trim the top so they will fit the nacelles. Four engine will need 72 toothpick pieces, 72 wire wraps and 4 engine crankcases and 4 gear cases but will look  a lot better than decal facings.  So again, thanks for the inspiration Ken.

Lou

Model Maker

Now you are causing me to review my approach with the Halifax engines. I as going to be happy with a faux engine with only one row of cylinders. But you are going for the full meal deal with two rows of cylinders! They certainly look great!! Dare I say, it's tough to keep up with a Master Craftsman.

The engines are certainly taking shape.

-ken

lastvautour

1/48 and 1/72 engine are quite different in appearance. I have yet to try making 1/72 scale engines and would use your method as simulating fins at that scale is out of my skill. Now Cliff is the one with skills at making 1/72 scale engines. I searched for one of his articles but could not find it. He had push rods, exhaust pipes and electrical harnesses.

Lou

lastvautour

Moving along. The propellers have been ready for at least seven years. Just needed some final sanding and paint.

Lou

Model Maker

Lou

The engine and propeller look great. How did you make the propeller? Did you carve the hub and insert the blades?

-ken

lastvautour

I just realized I never did a tutorial on making my style of propellers. To answer your question, the hub is four  piece dowels joined with round toothpicks and the individual blades slip over the end of the toothpicks, Lots of glue make it a solid unit. I have a tutorial on doing my blades at http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/SMF/index.php?topic=933.0
I am surprised I did not do the hubs

Lou

Biggles

Very nice! I have just started a scale flying model of a Bristol Blenheim, Its quite big for me at 1.4m wingspan so some scale radial engines are in the works.
John 15:13

lastvautour

I want to see that when it is done. Please post to the Officer's Lounge. Will this be a display engine to be replaced when you want to fly?

Here is a photo of my Bollingbroke(Blenheim) engines in 1/32 scale.

Lou

Biggles

Yes I will post when its done. I think the engines will stay on, I found a magazine article on the construction of 9 cylinder radials out of foam. they will not be as detailed as yours though!

lastvautour

Started the decal process. I scanned a Voodoo decal sheet and will adjust the size and colour balance for the Argus. I cannot get a decent scan out of this printer and I can't afford the $50.00 to get an aftermarket decal sheet. However here is the current progress shots of the engines and props.

Lou

lastvautour

Coated in future wax ready for the CanMilAir decals.

Lou

Boomerang

buccfan

Very nice indeed Lou, looking forward to the decals .Regards Paul J.

Biggles

lastvautour

Still waiting for the decals that were shipped on 25 March. Canada is famous for it's dog sled mail delivery during winter months.

Lou