• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

World War One Armistice 100th Anniversary - Cook Up

Started by lastvautour, December 05, 2017, 12:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

I've run out of 1/2 round so track link production has stopped.
Thinking about how to clad the basic block shapes to make it look like armour. Have to knock up 4 x .303 Hotchkiss mg's

Some progress on EV. Not having much success with fuselage lozenge decal, Have tried and failed twice. Colours seem to break up on the carrier.
I'm going to try a different paper and fixative to see if that cures the problem. Had minor splitting with other decals that I've applied to this but not as noticeable.

Only 5 bits of Blue tack holding things together.

Going away for a week .

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Whose decal paper are you using? I have two printers, both HP. Both print the dark colours, mainly roundel red and blue, but one takes twice the bonder and even then, there is a problem with holding the ink together on the older model printer. This was not always the case so I wonder if the ink formula has been changed slightly for better adsorption on plain paper. I use cartridge 21/22. The other printer is only a year old and does not have that problem.

Other wise your work is spectacular.

I need a trip to the city to get some half round stock also.

Lou

lastvautour

My half round measures 3/64" diameter. What size do you have?

Lou

Boomerang

I used what was left of some Evergreen 0.040 in ( 1mm) half round.
Looks OK. I'll pick some more up while I'm away.

Gordon

lastvautour

3/64 equal 1mm. I am going to the city todau so I hope they have some in stock. Otherwise it will be Amazon.

Lou

lastvautour

No plastic strips at the city. I ordered on line with a late May delivery date. I am experimenting with straight pins for those big rivets. Extra fine dress making pins cut down and placed in holes made with a compass point. I will need a better template for the single and double row panel rivets as these are a bit sloppy when done with my Mk I Eyeball.

Lou

Boomerang

Unsuccessful also in quest for 1/2 round. I like the idea of using pins.
The whippet has a lot of nuts and bolts holding it all together.

Gordon

lastvautour

The very fine dressmaker pins have a smaller head than the standard pin. I ordered 1/4 round in two sizes but think the 1mm will do the trick. With 8 pins per track link, I will need a trip to the city.

Lou

Boomerang

Managed to get some 1/2 round and some pins. So will push on with making the tracks as per the way I've started.  The pins I will use for the armour plate.

The Fokker has progressed somewhat. Pictures to follow.

Gordon

lastvautour

I purchased 1200 pins and about 1% have poorly formed heads. A quick calculation shows I will need 1280 just for the tracks so another trip to the store is in order. I ordered the half round strips but they are not anticipated to arrive before early June.

Lou

lastvautour

Coming together. All rivet will be added before assembly. I will need more pins.

Lou

Boomerang

1280 pins !  Mmmm!!  I'll stick with drops of PVA for the tracks. Got some pins for the round headed ones on the main body.

Thinking about how to mass produce 1/32 nuts .

Fokker- just need to add controls , cockpit rim, rear struts and then I can glue it all together. On the photos that I'm using there is a colour line on the upper and lower longeron
             I did try to mask one off but found even with proprietary  masking tape I was starting to lift the lozenge decal. So that won't be happening.
             I'll add the upper wing decals on a white base decal circle after I've added the aileron controls
Whippet - Proceeding on. Plan to use pins for the round headed ones on the body etc.., thinking about how to make homemade 1/32 nuts.
                The exhausts are made using left over cylinder stock from the EV/DVIII. Photos of the whippet show the exhausts are lagged . Piping is single core electrical wire.
                Bit of judicious painting and from 3 feet away they should look the part.

Off to more therapeutic dabbing of PVA onto small bits of ply.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Never though about using glue rivets. As to the nuts and will hunt the internet for hexagon or sexagon rod stock.

Lou

Boomerang

I'll try the hexagon styrene for bolts and nuts. Just got to find some.

Progress to date.
Fokker - one piece of blue take in use. Propping up rear of wing centre section. using this to cut rear struts to length.
             Control horns added. Cockpit coaming done using wet tissue moulded to shape. allowed to dry the sealed with PVA. Seemed to work.

Whippet - some cut off pins added ( fuel tank at front). More dabs of PVA on track housings. Various panels done out of plastic coffee cup tops cut out using a sharpened brass tube.
              - home made Hotchkiss barrels ( brass) . Gun ports moulded from 5 minute epoxy in a blue tack mould using olive oil as a release agent. The shape of which was done using the top of
                pen. Engine cover from cereal box card.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Moving along nicely. I still await my plastic strips.

Lou