Author Topic: Grumman Bearcat  (Read 55 times)

lastvautour

• Administrator
Grumman Bearcat
« on: August 11, 2017, 10:58:40 AM »
As written by Harvey aka FlyingS

Starting my next model, a F8F Grumman Bearcat. This was my Dad's favorite aircraft during his 22 year carrier in the Navy. I have printed the patterns and will start making templates to rough out the blocks. Using Bass wood and will be my first fully painted aircraft. It will have a 10" wing span.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:58:49 AM by lastvautour »

lastvautour

• Administrator
Re: Grumman Bearcat
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:59:19 AM »
As written by Harvey aka FlyingS

This is my first attempt at doing the wings in one piece. This model I'm going to paint in Navy blue and tryout the printable decal paper. Any suggestions on that is appreciated.

« Last Edit: Today at 08:59:16 AM by lastvautour »

lastvautour

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 11:00:52 AM »
Looks good to me. Check out the group build board. Some have directions on carving one piece wings with the dihedral built in.

Lou

Model Maker

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 02:55:30 PM »
You can take a look at the Halifax listed on my Building Board. The wing also has a dihedral construction. When cutting out the wing, I used the bandsaw to rough cut the dihedral in the wing. Then used a block plane, sharp chisel and files to shape the various aspects of the wing profile. But based upon this plane and the scale I believe the wing span of the model is approximately 7.5" / 19 cm. For this size of wingspan, I'd opt for the sharp chisel and file.

I find a higher than normal  back stop on a bench hook is a great aid in chiselling the wing profile as I tend to chisel across the wood grain (ie across the wing) to remove the material rather than along the wood grain (ie along the wing axis) of the wing when shaping the various sections of the wing.

-ken

FlyingS

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:25:07 AM »
Have the rear stabilizer (at least that what it is on a helicopter  :) fitted to the fuselage. Need to trim the wing down on the band saw. I saved the one profile scrap to act as a cradle for sawing. I may have over done it on square section to match up with the notch in the fuselage, but I'm still figuring the thing out.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:00:57 AM by lastvautour »

lastvautour

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 12:11:10 PM »
It takes time. My first effort back around 1954 did not look like any airplane flying at the time, but my imagination made up for it. Just remember Harvey, the only person you need to satisfy is yourself. You seem to be doing that so far.

Lou

PS Send me those photos and I will place them in this post.

FlyingS

« Reply #6 on: Today at 10:16:25 AM »
Thanks for the advise! I messed up on my measurements for the wing construction. (which bugs me since that is sort of what I did for a living) the good news is it is savable. I like you method of small notch to mach the piece tying the two wings to one piece. I learn something new every time I login!

lastvautour

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Today at 03:57:54 PM »
I have forgotten the measure twice cut once many a time.

Lou