• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/48 Mustang Mk IV.......................................{Completed 24 Dec 2017)

Started by lastvautour, August 08, 2017, 12:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Be forewarned that this may be a long process as currently have 5 projects on the go.

The Canopy Project will be a 1/48 scale RCAF Mustang Mk V - NA P-51D
The Cockpit Project will be an 1/? scale  Antonov An-26 Curl in UN colours

Lou

*Please note this is a teaching tool, so anyone can joint in and show us their method of carving/molding canopies and cockpit glassed areas.
** Please note I will be changing the subject name on you post to identify at a glance whose approach is being feature. This will not move the placement nor the content of your post.

Rafael

lastvautour

I have just finished an F-86 and will look for suitable drawings soon.

Lou

lastvautour

"Mustang Mk IV"

These are scaled to 1/48. I don't know if they will retain that scale on the download.  The wing will measure  a 9.25 inches and the fuselage 8.04 inches long.

Lou

lastvautour

"Mustang Mk IV"

There are two ways to proceed, glue the drawing directly onto the wood or to cardboard for reuse later.

Lou

Rafael

Quote from: lastvautour on August 09, 2017, 05:28:58 PM
There are two ways to proceed, glue the drawing directly onto the wood or to cardboard for reuse later.

Lou

Comes to mind the possibility of multiple/simultaneous builds with only one set of drawings. I´m I right?

lastvautour

"Mustang Mk IV"

Indeed Rafa.

Photo 1 - I use both methods but in this case I glued the drawing on cardboard.
Photo 2 - I cut out the drawings and drew one half of the wing and then flipped the drawing to ensure both side would be the same
Photo 3 - I drew a line on top of the wing tips and then measure the thickness at the center. It measured 1.5 cm
Photo 4 - I removed the vertical tail and fin extension.
Photo 5 - I traced the fuselage and tail desperately.  Note the grain will be vertical on the tail and horizontal on the fuselage and wings
Photo 6 -  I drew the tail plane using the same method mention in the last post.

The alternate method would be to glue the drawing directly on the wood.

PS Found this piece of clear pine on a garbage heap.

Lou

lastvautour

Some carving has begun.

Lou

lastvautour

I messed up that beautiful wing. Started to cut another but was called to supper so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

Lou

FlyingS

What type of wood are you using?

lastvautour

FlyingS

Once I used up my "well dried" base wood I'll try some 5/4 clear pine boards.
Thanks
Harv

lastvautour

A word of caution, go into the warehouse and select the lightest in colour and weight. A dark colour means tree gum embedded in the board. Stay away from knots. Look at the grain. Any curvature in the grain especially along the edges mean a knot was not to far away. This makes it hard to carve a straight line. I even smell the piece. A humid smell means put that piece back in the rack. Now if i could find basswood near by at a decent cost, I would change over in a heartbeat.

Lou 

Model Maker

Hi Harv

Lou is right on the money when it comes to selecting pine. One of the big box stores near me carries 2" x 4" and 2" x 6" knotty pine in various lengths. Every time I go there, I check out the selection. Occasionally  I find a board which is almost select grade - ie 1 or 2 small knots or none at all and with straight grain, light colour and light in weight. When I find one, I usually buy it and store it in the garage.

Call me paranoid about any sap leaking through. I always seal the finished carving one of two ways before laying down primer to minimize any chance of sap bleeding through the finished paint in the future. I normally apply either two coats of clear shellac or two coats of polyurethane, with the first coat thinned using a 50-50 blend of shellac & alcohol or 50-50 blend of polyurethane & thinner. If I use polyurethane, I then lay down a coat of ZINSER BIN white shellac primer from the spray can to provide a good base for subsequent coats of primer.

-ken

lastvautour

Finally started work on the Mustang. Forward fuselage and main wing got some attention.

Lou

Lou