• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - DH-98 Mossie - WWII ID Model

Started by 1.JaVA_LGorrit, October 03, 2013, 02:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

You are getting the hang of it Jorrit. How thick is the portion of your wing at the side of the fuselage?

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Lou, on the leading edge of the wing close to the fuselage it is 7.5 mm. The trailing edge is smoothing out to 1mm at the rear end.
I did not yet touch the leading edge of the wing between the nacelles.
Was I supposed to do that?
Thanks.
Jorrit

lastvautour

No not yet. We will deal with that later. Please take a photo directly from the front but not too close.

Lou

lastvautour

It's pretty nice the way the wood grain formed patterns on the bottom of the wing. I am down stairs and don't have my photos available. I will post more instructions and photos later today.

Lou

Balsabasher

Excellent Gorrit,your Mossie is coming along really well.
Barry.

lastvautour

Some modelers like Pete Morro can use the grain to his advantage as he used clear finish on his models.  As for me it never or rarely works out.

Lou

lastvautour

The radiators are next. Select two small pieces of wood as thick as your wing leading edge. Note that the top view has an angle. Make the grain of the wood parallel to the grain in the wing. Install your nacelles and the fuselage for measuring the length of the pieces and that it makes a tight fit. Once you are satisfied with the fit. you may remove the nacelles and fuselage and then glue them in place. Set aside and leave alone overnight.

Lou

lastvautour

Photo 1
Next, take your side view template and using a pointed object mark the location of the forward edge of the tail plane.

Photo 2
Run a line between the point you just made and the center of the fuselage tail cone. (My apologies for the  poor quality of this photo.)

Photo 3
I used the Eye Ball Mk 1 to make a line on the opposite side.

Lou

lastvautour

Now measure the thickness of your tail plane and using sandpaper, sand it down to approx. 2.5mm. Next take your fretsaw and cut FROM THE BOTTOM up to the lines we just made. This is a deviation from the plan. If the tail piece does not fit well, I would rather it be on the bottom.

Lou

lastvautour

Using your hobby knife, score along the line on both sides until the bottom rear fuselage drops off. Note I did not fully score the sides and it split a bit. Remove these bits to flatten the area where the top of the tail plane will rest once sanded down.

Lou

lastvautour

Test fit the tail plane with the main wings in place (after or before the radiator are glued and dry) and align them together. If they do not align, trim the rear fuselage a bit at a time until they are aligned. I used a clothespin to hold it in place while the glue dried.

Lou

lastvautour

Once the tail plane is dry,
Photo 1
Test fit the bottom piece

Photo 2
Trim the bottom piece ensuring you leave the rear tip intact.

Photo 3
If it is not quite there, trim a bit more and test fit.

Photo 4
Oops, too much taken off. We will fix that in the next post.

Lou

lastvautour

Should you be as clumsy as me, take a sliver or curl of wood and place it on the forward edge of the tail plane and test fit the bottom piece again. Adjust the sliver/curl to get the proper fit and glue in place. It does not matter at this point if there are gaps between the fuselage and the tail plane. We will fix that later.

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hi Lou,
Having some trouble to keep up.
I am trimming the tail wing to the correct thickness with sanding paper.
It is taking some time, but I am getting there.
Also the radiator parts are quite a pain to make, I have tried 2 pieces, but it looked so unprofessional; will start over with this.