• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Novice - DH-98 Mossie - WWII ID Model

Started by 1.JaVA_LGorrit, October 03, 2013, 02:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balsabasher

Those engine nacelles are really coming to life now Lou,the Mosquito is such a lovely subject to model.
Barry.

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Quote from: buccfan on October 30, 2013, 09:44:29 PM
Great progress Jorrit, you seem to be enjoying the build, I followed Lou's tutorial for my first Airtoon and it was excellent for a novice like myself. Keep up the good work. Regards Paul J.

Thanks Paul!

I am really enjoying this indeed.
Moving slow on the nacelles now, I feel a bit insecure and am afraid I will chop off too much.
It will take me a while until I will have them finished.
Here's yesterday's progress:

Balsabasher

You will be fine Gorrit,just keep taking a bit off at a time then having a break and coming back to it,you are building a lovely model there.
Barry.

1.JaVA_LGorrit

I am truly amazed with how nice everything starts to look:

Will continue this evening... Already looking forward to it...

lastvautour

Jorrit, the nacelles look great. I still feel that youthful enthusiasm when looking forward to carving new airplanes.
Now we will do some marking and a bit of cutting to fit the nacelle to the wing. I usually make several templates for the major parts as I cut them up for various reasons. This is a deviation from the plans. Cut out the width of the nacelle from the leading edge back to the tip of the nacelle top outline. Place the template on the wing and mark that off. I suggest you use the wing center line as a measuring point. Flip the template over and mark the other wing. This will make sure both engines are the same distance from the fuselage side.

Lou

lastvautour

If you have not already done so, mark the leading edge of the wing with two lines approx. 1/3 of the thickness of the wing at the center point and a point a few cm from the very tip. These long triangles will help in carving the wing. The single line on the trailing edge will be used to carved the rear of the wing. Cut the lines that form the opening that will house the nacelle.

Lou

PS Yes I do have two Mossie wings. Actually I have three.

lastvautour

Remove the materiel where the nacelle will be housed. I used the fretsaw to cut down to the line and then used the hobby knife to make the recess. repeat for the other side.

Lou

lastvautour

Note that the nacelle mid block does not quite come up to the level of the top wing. That is normal at this stage. You may have to trip and shave a bit here and there to get the nacelles to fit snuggly. If they are too loose we will shim them to tighten things up. Post some more pictures when you get to this step.

Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hey Lou,
I am not 100% certain if I have made the cut deep enough:

Trying to upload more pictures, but apparently I have exceeded my upload quotum.
I was hoping you could help me get more space in the gallery.

Thanks,

Jorrit

lastvautour

Jorrit, it looks ok at this point. We will trim to get a better fit later. I will ask Garet about the picture uploads. What setting are you using on your camera? I use the small image setting and it make a smaller file but the photo is still large enough to enlarge to 8"X10" for a closer look. I have another way of reducing the file size without compromising the image quality but I would need to find out what programs you are using on your PC.
I have use Microsoft Windows 7.
Lou

1.JaVA_LGorrit

so far I have always used medium settings.
I take the pictures with my (I-)Phone then send them to my mail address compressing to medium size.
The files are all between 80 and 120Kb, which is small enough I would say.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Balsabasher

Gorrit I would be really surprised if you have exceeded the upload limit,I am wondering if that means your server imposing limits ?
Barry.

1.JaVA_LGorrit

Hi Barry,

This is the error I get:

Critical error
Disk quota exceeded.

You have a space quota of 25000K, your files currently use 24956K, adding this file would make you exceed your quota.

Maybe some of my old pictures are too large..
I will look into it.

Jorrit

lastvautour

If you look at my gallery photos I have closer to a TB of photos uploaded. How many pictures are you attempting to upload at once? Even there, I have uploaded 10 photos at once with no problem. I will send an email to Garet on the matter.

Lou

lastvautour

Moving on. Lets give our Mossie fuselage some shape.

Using the template, mark off the top and bottom of the rear fuselage from the canopy back to the tail. Note that I have removed the canopy from the template to mark off the canopy lines. When lining up the tail end, check twice to ensure the template is centered.

Lou