• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1/32 Airco DH 5 Stárted July 2012 Completed 26 June 2015

Started by Boomerang, May 23, 2014, 05:53:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomerang

Got some more done on the DH 5.

I've given the under surfaces  a wash of "Naples yellow. Needs a bit more work but should be OK. probably knock it back a 
bit  with a wash of white.
I tried "beating" a cowl out of aluminium take away tray but gave up. Then I looked a the mould (three laminations of 1/8
balsa) so pulling out the rotary tool set to work. Turned out OK I think. Needs a bit of tidying up. Will knock up an engine
to suit. Cleaned up the fuselage as well . Needs more work around cockpit.

cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Looks very promising. Good luck.

Lou

Boomerang

Thanks Lou,

Just working through what I've got half started before starting anything else .
  I'm trying get the DH 5, Flycatcher and CH1 up to the same stage. 

Cheers

Balsabasher

Naples yellow is my favourite colour to bring my watercolour skies to life.
Barry.

Boomerang

Worked on the cowling and added stringers to fuselage sides ( cotton thread with a couple of coats of primer).

This is the later model of cowl with strengthening strips. Made with a strip of paper and ""Evergreen"1mm half round
  strip.

Wheels done using the "sandwich "method. Spokes from cotton thread and a couple of coats of primer.

U/C from brass and spreader bar made.

The "composite'" pic shows it all held together with "blu tack". Inspiration. The pilot I've found along with a Vickers gun in
one of my son's bits boxes that he left. Also is an attempt to make a Vickers gun. Bamboo skewer and corrugated sheet
left over from radiators on Gloster IV.

All I have to do now is prise off the cowling with minimal damage. It's held to fuselage with blu tack to help blend in the lines.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Looks fantastic. Can you elaborate on the cowling and wheel constructions.

Lou

Boomerang

No worries Lou . I'm away from home the moment. When I get back i'll put something together and add it here.

Cheers
  Gordon

Boomerang

From my older brothers "archives" I've got his copy of the Windsock Datafile.
  Lots of pictures.
  As result I've had to do a bit more work around the cockpit to get that looking right.
Still some way to go.
  When I'm satisfied with that I'll try and remove the cowl with the minimum of damage. It's pretty much held in place with
  blue tack and primer.

lastvautour

The ribbing on the fuselage side look very realistic in the close up view. Looking forward to more.

Lou

Boomerang

Have done some work on the front of  Le Rhone engine to get the shape right.

Eventually hope to get it looking like this .

http://harrysite.net/hsrefs/index.php/aircraft/powerplants/Le-Rhone/LeRhone_9J_110hp_2

Cheers
  Gordon

Boomerang

Having seen Lou's Rotary in progress I'd best get a wriggle on with mine

lastvautour

Had a look at the site and found out that I totally messed up on my engine. I mistook the back of the engine for the front and will redo the fuel manifold. So waiting for me to guide the way is not always the smartest thing to do. I will post to my error  in the DR1 topic.

Lou

Boomerang

I got confused as well. In the case of the Le Rhone it would appear to be related to HP whether all the working bits are at
  the front or rear. Still working out how to make the whole lot revolve ( engine and propeller) .
  Gordon

cliff strachan

Gordon that should be very interesting and informative. Just how are you going to get the engine and the prop rotating. It seems that describing - or preferably by means of photos - will be at least as big of a job as building your model.
Cliff.

Boomerang

Cliff,
  It's a bit of a challenge but I think doable. have a few ideas . Hopefully it will come in a flash of brilliance a little way day the
   track.
  Gordon