• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Tutorial Intermediate - Douglas DC-3/C-47 - WWII ID Model

Started by lastvautour, November 02, 2013, 10:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

Application of Krylon gloss white. The trick is to get sort of a semi gloss so go easy on the coat of paint. The CanMilAir decals have been received and now cabin and cockpit windows must be printed. The scoop are extras not part of the plans. They are made with scrap wood.

Lou

Balsabasher

Lou is this the first ever Bonaventure deck landing of a DC-3 ? you have some good pilots in your air force.
Barry.

lastvautour

I have posted to my other group to see if anyone ever heard of landing a Dak on a carrier. I know the Americans landed a Herc but a Dak would have trouble with the take off.

lastvautour

Regardless, progress is being made as well as messes. I screwed the deicer boots when the paint got under the tape. They have been removed and reapplied. One word to all, tape and freshly applied decals are not friendly to each other.

Lou

lastvautour

I have since found out that USS Philippine Sea (CV-47) launched some USN R4Ds with JATOs. It does not mention it, but I assume they were loaded at dock side as they also show some C-45s on deck as well.

Lou

Biggles

Lou,
In 2014 SMM Completed Solid Model Builds, my spitfire and mustang are at a 1:50 scale not a 1:72 scale.
P.S I would have posted this in 2014 SMM Completed Solid Model Builds but it would not let me.
Biggles.
John 15:13

lastvautour

I will make adjustments. I have the admin key to posting photos.

Lou

lastvautour

The deicer boots are all painted on as well as the antiglare panel. It would have made it easier if you paint the panel first and then add the window decal. Live and learn. Once the panel is dry I will tackle the decals from CanMilAir. They look great. I have started carving plugs for the prop blade as I wish to have the engines turn off in the hangar.!!!! At 1/144 they are fairly small but doable.

Lou

Balsabasher

Those de-icer boots make a big difference Lou,a good tip for the future is to use artists acrylic tube paint black,it looks just like rubber when dry and being impasto does not creep under the masking tape making it a pleasure to use.

Barry.

lastvautour

Roll out 31 Jan 2014.

Lou

lastvautour

CanMilAir decals worked out very well. I made and added the doors decals.

Lou

Biggles

John 15:13

Balsabasher

That looks stunning Lou,the DC-3 has served the United Nations well landing on un-prepared airstrips,very nice scheme and decals.

Barry.

lastvautour

Thank you both. I remember seeing the DC-3 flying over our village. Early in my military career I recall trying to relieve myself in the lavatory(small closet) on a rough flight to Gander Newfoundland. Bad idea.

Lou

lastvautour

Jeremy, have not heard from you in a while. How is your DC-3 coming along?

Lou