• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

JOHNSON 185 ROCKET drawing request from a newbie

Started by GRAHAM B, August 29, 2010, 09:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRAHAM B

Hi All,

My names Graham Banham, living in Norfolk in the UK. Just joined the forum, tempted in by some great models!

My main vice is free-flight scale models, so i suppose it's balsa bashing of a kind. I'm actually on the scrounge for some advice and help straight away i'm afraid...

Can anyone point me in the direction of a 3-view of some sort for the Johnson 185 Rocket? It's a very attractive single engined mid-1940's US lightplane, similar to the Globe Swift, Culver V, etc.

I thought perhaps the most likely sources might be magazines like Air Trails, MAN, and so on but no luck so far. Several photographs though.

Many thanks

Graham

dave_t

Welcome Graham,
                    Attached is a sketch of a "Rocket" from Aviation magazine, March 1947. They were small drawings and I don't know about accuracy, but it may be useful.

Dave
      -USA

GRAHAM B

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for this: i wasn't sure a 3-view of any kind existed, and this is very good: certainly i can use it as a basis.

Graham 

Mark Braunlich

Graham,
Here are listings at Full Size Plans (Roland Friestad), contact at: cardinal.eng@grics.net

JOHNSON ROCKET - U/C SCALE - MODERN
HOBBYCRAFT 1946 - FROM CHARLIE
BRUCE - F001404

JOHNSON ROCKET - FLYING MODELS 11/46 - P17 - 3V

Mark

GRAHAM B

Many thanks Mark,

I've tried unsuccessfully to locate a copy of the Nov '46 Flying Models magazine, but i'll keep on the lookout!

Graham

Mark Braunlich

Graham,

You can get the 3-view direct from Roland.  Tell him I sent you.

Not sure about that FM date.  According to my records, the first FM was June, 1947 which included article and drawings for making a solid 1:48 Fokker Dr.I.   Before that, the same publication was called Flying Aces.   You might want to ask Roland to clarify that callout in his list.

Mark

dave_t

I have added a recently found drawing of the Johnson Rocket to the gallery from the November 1946 issue of "Air World" magazine.

GRAHAM B