• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Ships in Bottles

Started by Oceaneer99, June 13, 2013, 06:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oceaneer99

I thought you gentlemen might enjoy this video of Ray Gascoigne, an Australian who has made ships in bottles for over 60 years.

http://vimeo.com/61996880

Description:

Ray Gascoigne has been around boats his whole life, as a shipwright, a merchant sailor, and now as a ship builder on the smallest dry dock there is: a bottle. This short film, by Smith Journal and Melbourne-based production studio Commoner, picks through the wood chips to tell the story of a craft honed over 60 years, and the man behind it. A step-by-step account of the process was featured in Smith Journal volume six. Find out more about the project: bit.ly/10eWkuF Learn more about Smith: bit.ly/sDgUHh

Presented by Smith Journal, a quarterly Australian magazine for guys (smithjournal.com.au)
A film by Commoner (vimeo.com/commonerfilms)
Music by Ben Yardley

Peter

Thanks for posting this. I have built three ships in bottles, well actually they're more ship wrecks in bottles!  It is definately an exercise in patience. We have a few plans on the site that would work well as SIBS. I am planning on giving it a try with the Seth Parker plan. Thanks again for posting this.

Peter