• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

1942 "Scale Plans of Military Aircraft" now uploaded

Started by Will, June 09, 2013, 06:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Hi Guys,

I just uploaded the last few drawings from the 1942 edition of "Scale Plans for Military Aircraft" so all 37 plans are now on SMM.  I've called the files "Pollitt" but I'm not sure he's the author as it says Aeromodeller Staff on the title page compared to the 1940 edition.  These are more useful drawings than the 1940 ones, some also appear in the "Aircraft of the Fighting Powers" books from the same publishers.

The full list in the 1942 edition are:

British
•   Armstrong-Whitworth Whitley
•   Blackburn Roc
•   Blackburn Skua
•   Boulton-Paul Defiant
•   Bristol Beaufort
•   Bristol Blenheim
•   Fairey Albacore
•   Fairey Battle
•   Gloster Gladiator
•   Gloster F5/34
•   Handley Page Hampden
•   Hawker Henley
•   Hawker Hurricane
•   Supermarine Spitfire
•   Vickers Wellington
•   Westland Lysander

French
•   Bloch 151
•   Dewoitine 510
•   Morane-Saulnier MS406

German
•   Dornier Do17
•   Dornier Do215
•   Heinkel He111
•   Heinkel He112
•   Henschel Hs126
•   Messerschmitt Bf109
•   Messerschmitt Bf110

American
•   Curtiss A-18
•   Curtiss 75a Hawk (export version of P-36)
•   Curtiss Helldiver (biplane)
•   Curtiss P-40 Tomahawk
•   Curtiss YP-37
•   Curtiss-Wright CW21
•   Douglas 8A (Northrop A-17?)
•   Grumman F2F
•   North American NA-50
•   Seversky P-35
•   Vought SBU-2

Its nearly the same planes as the 1940 except the XP-40 is replaced by the P-40(B) Tomahawk and the French Amiot 370 and Potez 63 twins were dropped from the contents.

Sorry its taken a while to finish the upload of the whole lot, I only recently got hold of a complete copy of the later book.
Best Regards
Will

Peter

Thanks Will! That must of been a lot of work!

Peter

lastvautour

Will

The hardest bit was trying to scan without the book coming to pieces.  Unfortunately seventy year old staples are rubbish so a few of the centre larger drawings came adrift.   Still it's nice to have the whole book.  There are hardly any adverts and none for models by then but all the write-ups are the same as the 1940 edition (apart from the P-40).  Accordingly the notes about colour schemes and aircraft in service were out of date by 42.

I reckon an SMM bookshelf should include both this and Elwell's "Solid Scale Model Aircraft" as they're companion volumes.  Copies are frequently on eBay but don't spend more than a fiver for either.

Regards
Will

Oceaneer99

Will,

We really appreciate your effort scanning these in.  Well done!

Garet

scottzepher

Just had a look--looks great!  Thank you very much for taking the time to do this!

Tom Becker
aka ScottZepher