• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Spitfire K5054 cockpit details...PLEASE!!

Started by Mothman, March 03, 2013, 06:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mothman

Hi all,
I haven't posted for ages, but I've been very busy doing interminable masters for model slot car bodies.
However, I am building a 1/48th scale Spitfire Prototype, the very first flight one, but cannot get beyond one photo of the cockpit which shows a completely abnormal instrument panel layout.
Can anybody help me out please!

Thanks,
Martin

lastvautour

lastvautour

Mark Braunlich

Very detailed drawings of K5054 by Harry Robinson appear in the March 1977 Scale Models magazine.  Not sure how much cockpit info there is.  Do you have access to those drawings?

Edit: 3/5/13,  I checked the Robinson drawings last night....no cockpit detail.

See link:  http://www.spitfires.flyer.co.uk/k5054.html

Mothman

Hello chaps, sorry I haven't been on for a while, so busy I then forgot my sign in details!

Many thanks for the help there.

Mark, that's the photo I have and it's what I've gone with on the model.  I had a side line to it whereby I carved a photographer and made an old box camera on a tripod for the scenic setting of the model.
I'm now in the process of covering the model in foil, to get the right panelling patterns and that English Wheeled semi burnished finish on the nose and leading edges, prior to the cacky yellow chromate work.

Unfortunately it's back in the cupboard while I make more masters, but you have to earn your keep.

Lou, I'll go through those references.  Thanks again for your time.

Cheers,
Martin

cliff strachan

Martin, it sounds like a very great model. Keep up the good work. But no wonder Solid Scale takes so long - a subject that SMM should deal with. "If not us, Who?"
Cliff.

Mothman

I seem to be getting a stash of kits. Not really my thing, but it enables me to share my son's interests and develop his skills while I can.  Mind you, the Contrail vac-form TSR2 that he bought me as a birthday present from Newark Museum will require such major surgery that it'll probably come under the SMM banner!

Cheers,
Martin

lastvautour

Normally the plans have fairly accurate drawings. It may be better to do a wooden version. I have the Canadian equivalent of a Vac CF-105 that has graced my shelf since the late 1970s.

Lou