• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Ideal Aeroplane Co Question

Started by Lynn, February 08, 2013, 02:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynn

Greetings All !
I've followed this site for a while, but only just joined.  I enjoy learning from the postings here.
There is one question that I have... 
I'm researching various scale models of the battleship Texas ( BB-35 ) in particular, and the New York class of battleships in general.  I know that there was a wooden Texas model by Stromberg, and Megow had a New York.  The wooden Comet battleship actually represents the New York class.  However, I've seen another site that advises that there was a Ideal Aeroplane & Supply Company release of the Texas, copyright 1933.  This is the only reference to such a model that I've come across.  Checking for models for sale, investigating old Ideal catalogs, and conferring with others who have knowledge in the field, I have yet to have the existence of a Ideal release of the Texas confirmed.
Hopefully someone here can confirm the existence, or direct me to other avenues for pursuit.
Thanks for your time and consideration.
Lynn

Lynn

Mark -

Thank you very much.  I had seen this article some time ago.  ( No, not when it was originally published.  ;) I'm not quite that old. )  I had also found an ad showing that Popular Science magazine sold a kit for the Texas.  But it took your communication for me to realize that the kit and the articles were linked together.  Thanks again !
I put together a web page with the information uncovered thus far in my pursuit.  In spite of the fact that models of other types ( i.e. Metal, resin, paper ) are included, I thought there might be some interest here.

http://myweb.cableone.net/lmouser/Zother/ShipModel.htm

I obtained the image of the Strombecker instructions from this site, and reduced it for display.  I'm under the impression that it is acceptable to use that image in this manner.  If not, if someone will please let me know, then I'll remove that image immediately.

I will be sharing this information with Charles Moore, so he can use it on his Battleship Texas website.

http://www.usstexasbb35.com/

Thanks again for all the help, and I'd love to hear from anyone with information regarding models of the Texas or New York.

Best wishes,
Lynn Mouser

Mark Braunlich

Picture of a page from the 1940 Strombecker catalog showing the USS Texas model and a photo of a collection of semi-finished Strombecker ships including the Texas.

Mark Braunlich

Construct-A-Ship (Construct-A-Plane Co.)  U.S.S. Texas kit.

lastvautour

Thanks for the memory of my earlier ship building days. Although none were of any particular ship and mostly copied from what ever image I may have seen once or twice, they did bring much joy and early training.

Lou

Lynn

Thanks to all for the responses !
I really appreciate the new information.  This has been quite an educational pursuit for me, and also a pleasure to come in contact with such gracious and knowlegeable people.
If anything else comes to mind, please let me know !
Thanks again !
Lynn

Balsabasher

Excellent research Lynn,those old catalogues hold a mine of information forsolid model historians.
Barry.

Peter

Hi Lyn,

I just found a five part article on building a model of the Texas that ran in Popular Science in 1932. There links on this website just scroll down and look for Texas
http://www.rusticmodelboats.com/sciencemodels/science.html

Peter