• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

WX?

Started by cliff strachan, January 09, 2013, 10:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliff strachan

I believe, somewhere or another, I felt amazed how the weather here in Winnipeg seemed to be so very windy and having determined that it was an aspect of Global Warming - wind a result of heat (or global warming) - might be of interest to members of this Group. Now, in the same vane, I thought the same members might be interested in a similar question:Where and what happened to January, 2013? Usually it's 40 below. Clear (Or CAVU - Clear all the vay up). But at least you could go out on the highway and be comfortable driving. But this year Jan 9th and it's still hovering around -6C or +21F???? Maybe it's springtime.
Cliff.

lastvautour

I saw a new story on Orcas being traped in Hudson Bay because they were in the arctic due to the decrease of surface ice. They turned south too early and found themselves on tyhe west side of Quebec rather than the east side. Who knows, maybe Floridaesidents will spend winters in Canada in the near future!

Lou

cliff strachan

Lou, I guess we have to recognize the so-called good points in warmer weather. Yes I do dread the thought that it will probably get a bit more normal for a while: 40 below, parkas and all. The question is: When? In July?
Cliff.

Oceaneer99

Lou,

My grandmother (from Alberta) tried to move to Florida, but found the winters too warm, so she moved back north to Michigan.

It's about 3C in Seattle today, brief snow flurries, but not the torrential rain that we have seen the past few days.  Despite the reputation, it rarely rains hard in Seattle, just drizzles for days at a time.

That said, it has been warm enough to do a little bit of pinewood derby car rough-cutting in my unheated garage.  My toes and fingers lose feeling eventually, and I've found that if you cut your hand accidentally, it usually takes several minutes before it starts to bleed, so you have enough time to finish up what you are working on before seeking first aid  ;)

My big project was to take the table saw apart and rebuild the dust collection system (non-existant on the original saw), also raising the saw table to be even with my workbench so I can use it as an outfeed table.  There are still some big gaps between the saw top and housing that allow heavier dust out; I'm trying to figure out how to seal those better.  I also added a zero-clearance insert.

Garet

cliff strachan

As much as I hate to admit it but as a self appointed weather watcher for real changes that might indicate Global Warming, in Winnipeg currently and as forcast for the next week, things are back to normal. Clear skies. Temperatures -30C or -22F. Parkas. Plug in the car. Stay home and sleep kind of weather. And then there's the wind temperature - whatever that means!
Cliff.

Peter

I was going to complain about Vancouver being -7 today but I think I'll just shut up instead.

Peter

cliff strachan

All right, Peter just rub it in.  ;) The next thing I know you'll be describing walking along English Bay and around Stanley Park, even staying in the Sylvia Hotel - if it's still there. Did you know that there used to be a pier out onto the Bay?
Cliff.

Peter

Hi Cliff,

I won't rub it in for another month or so.....The Sylvia is still there covered in Ivy and surrounded by very expensive apartment buildings. I have seen photos of the pier to bad it's gone. There used to be a seaplane base just across the bay at Kits beach. I the think the Stranrars used to fly out of there.

Peter

lastvautour

-28 chill factor today. Keep that stuff in your neck of the woods Cliff. The humidity makes it worst.

Brrr Lou

cliff strachan

Peter, not wishing to belabour the point, but it does grieve me to recall that I almost bought a condo unit in one of the bldgs. near the Sylvia. The pier that you mention was one that I believe that I once walked on. It was I think about 1939. (I was a bit younger at the time.) The Stranrar base is something that I am unaware of but if you can dig up some photos for the Group I'm sure they would appreciate them.
Lou, what's "chill factor"? I think the news sometimes uses the expression here. But us older types tend to ignore it. We got used to not standing in the wind and timing just when you would freeze ;).
Cliff.

Peter

Hi Cliff,

Is the Wikipedia page about the Jericho Beach Station.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCAF_Station_Jericho_Beach

The average condos around English Bay are now a million plus.

Peter

cliff strachan

Good grief, Peter, I could have been a millionaire! The condo I was looking at about twenty-five years ago was the Gilmour Something or Other. On Gilmour just around the corner from the Sylvia. But as usual the price was just a little too high. Oh well. Now I'm just old. But I do try to make Solid Scale. And I do belong to SMM.

Cliff.

Peter

Well Cliff I think we have all found a home here at SMM. Although a condo on the beach worth several million would be nice. Not to mention the girls in bikinis!

Peter