• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

C-46

Started by gera, April 30, 2008, 05:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gera

Who does not know the C-46!!!!!!!!.....it was Big!!!!! for WW2 standards. I  flew one of them from Guatemala to Tegusigalpa once. A Sahsa Airlines one, when we were to land at destination the pilot went around the airport (Black Cross) for around 6 times.....the hydraulics in the landing gear went to hell and they had to pump down by hand the landing gear....quite a feat with a crank that looked like and old wind up toy key.....Several passengers were asked to take turns!!!!! I was one of them!!!!!!!...Jesus Perez!!!! I was scared......This was around 1965.....They flew on and on and on, am sure somewhere there is one still flying. If an engine went on take off it was a gonner, the other engine simply pulled and the fat guy flipped instanstaniously, I have not heard of any pilot recovering......

Gera

Gera

Jim

Beautiful model, Gera.

I had a friend in college whose father was a B-24 flight engineer in China-Burma-India during the war. He said they used to refer to the  C-46 as "the Bleeding Whale" because it habitually leaked hydraulic fluid so bad...
And so it goes...

Oceaneer99

My dad used to fly the Air Force C-47 (different plane than the C-46) from time to time, and he said the tower called him on the radio to tell him it looked like he had an engine fire.  It turned out to be a "normal" oil leak.  He said that they frequently were forced to land at the nearest field, not because they were low on fuel, but because they were low on oil.

cliff strachan

Nice model Gera,

I'm particularly impressed with the aerial shot. How did you do it.

Oceaneer99

And nice job with the chrome paint.  To anyone who hasn't tried a metallic finish, they are really difficult!

Garet

gera

Quote from: cliff strachan on May 01, 2008, 07:54:46 PM
Nice model Gera,

I'm particularly impressed with the aerial shot. How did you do it.

Hi Cliff..........

So you liked the "aerial shot"?......its a 5 minute job or less.
Take a pic of the model----then import it to your "Paint program"...import a "sky" background, "Cut around the model" with the cutting tool in the program, copy it and paste to your background...........that´s all.
Depending on what program you use, it gives you all kinds of tools to do all kinds of things to the newly created "aerial shot".....I use, what I think its very good and cheap,,,," Photoimpact" its been around since 98 and its now in its 12th version!!!!!...you can download a sample for 30 days free.
Gera

gera

Quote from: Oceaneer99 on May 01, 2008, 10:17:36 PM
And nice job with the chrome paint.  To anyone who hasn't tried a metallic finish, they are really difficult!

Garet

Hi guys.....the secret to a "perfect" metallic finish.....a visit to your hardware store and around a buck and a half!!!!.....now that oil is up maybe 3 bucks!!!!!!!!

Good quality "Chrome Paint Spray".......................That´ll do it! :D :D :D...................further a do:
After it´s really dry!!!!( a week or more) just "rub" slightly with your thumb over the surface and the " shinny chrome" will acquire the "real metal look" of the real aircraft.................... ;)
Gera