• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Air-Toons

Started by lastvautour, August 18, 2009, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buccfan

Hi Lou, templates in hand, I'm still finishing a couple off and adjusting so I'll post when completed. I wont be long.Regards Paul J.

buccfan

]

The bullet fairings were made with 2 plastic bomb nose cones glued on a 4mm dowel which was flattened to sit on the  fin top and recessed to take the tailplane,then blended in to the fin sides.The plastic was tapered to the dowel diameter. Sorry the photo isn't too clear. I cut the fin,spine canopy into 3 and worked each separately because of the different thicknesses which made it easier. The canopy was made from 20mm thick wood, 10mm wide at the front and 12mm wide at the back. The fin is 4mm thick tapered front and back, and the spine has a curving taper to go in between.

The fuse block started at 30mm thick, these may sound like odd sizes, but I have some friends who have a custom made kitchen unit business, and I get scrap wood to burn in my woodburner, but not before I pick the useful bits out first.

The engine blocks started 20mm, ending up at 17mm after contour and shaping to the front and back templates.

If there is anything I have missed, or have not been clear about let me know and I will get back to you. I don't doubt you may find easier methods than mine or that your will probably be finished before mine ;D.Regards Paul J.

buccfan

A small update on progress due to a mini heatwave we have just had. Now primed and sanded, top coats X3 done, canopy,intakes, exhausts and leading edges painted. Undercarriage and armaments painted. Everything ready for a coat of acrylic varnish for decals to go on. Reards Paul J.

lastvautour

Your Bucc is really turning out well. Thanks for the templates.

Lou

buccfan

Thanks Lou, you're welcome with the templates.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

When the opportunity presents itself, could you provide a close up of your undercarriage assemblies.

Lou

buccfan

Hi Lou, the undercarriage parts are actually spares from a Buccaneer model I made some time ago, not scratch built by me. f you still want a close up of them let me know and I will attempt to photograph them. The pylons are also from the spares box,but the sidewinder and pods are wood. Regards Paul J.

buccfan

Hi Lou, try as I might, I couldn't get any usable close up pics of the undercarriage for my Bucctoon. So I scanned the plastic plan and marked some dimensions on it. The nose wheel will look shorter than the plan, and the main u/c will be longer as I had to modify them to suit the toon. Hope this helps, if you need anything else just let me know.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

buccfan

lastvautour

Thanks again. My AirToon has stalled. I have an F-18 that I wanted to do as a Blue Angel, however the only decals I have are 1/48 scale and will not do at all. Yellow is a horrible colour to replicate with paint or decal.

Lou

buccfan

Just the one pic for now. Bucctoon finished apart from a stand.I will post some more when it is complete.Regards Paul J.

Balsabasher

That looks really cute Paul ! it sits well on its undercarriage.
Barry.

buccfan

Thanks Barry, I did wonder whether it would sit right, but it's going on a stand so it doesn't really matter.Regards Paul J.

lastvautour

That is awesome Paul. Could you send me a bigger photo?

Lou