• Welcome to Solid Model Memories.net.

Flight of Fancy Mk III Started 2 Nov 21 completed 13 Nov 21

Started by lastvautour, October 24, 2021, 09:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastvautour

CIBC Airplane posts have been moved here from the General Board.

Lou

Gearup

WOw Lou. Who needs a 3D printer when you take on a project :D
Here is my version of the aircraft design. Looks something like a Sonex experimental.

I may take up the challenge and build a model.
Fraser

lastvautour

I like your plans better and I may use use them rather than mine or I may even do both to let people see different approaches to the same model.

Lou

lastvautour

What is your wingspan Fraser?

Lou

Gearup

9 3/8" span.  After I drew up the plan, I used a fuselage width of 3 feet to accommodate a flat engine into a single cockpit design. Using that measurement as a reference, I scaled the drawing until it was 3 feet at 1:48 = 0.75 inches.  The wing span worked out to 37.5 feet with an aspect ratio of approximately 8:1.

Regard
Fraser

Boomerang

I like the look of the Sonex.

Looking forward to your updates.

Cheers

Gordon

lastvautour

Looks a lot like a powered glider with that wing. The Sonex is a close look-a-like

Lou

Internet photo

lastvautour

I should elaborate in the Flight Of Fancy tittle. This is my third Flight Of Fancy project. The first was a Supermarine 508 look alike thta did not look much like what I had envisaged. The second although started some 50+ years ago was only completed in recent history and had fancy new wings added to the fuselage.

Lou

lastvautour

Progress shots. The fuselage has been redone in line with Fraser's drawings. The tail feathers are matched to the fuselage with maximum contact area for strength. Also note, the windscreen is wood in keeping with what skills I would have had at that age. The undercarriage is wood knobs.

Lou

Gearup

Nice flowing lines, Lou. I keep forgetting to try the notched wing connection.  Probably make mine with the gear up: haven't decided yet.
Fraser

Boomerang

lastvautour

Thank you Fraser and Gordon. I have done some modification but no photos yet. I tried exhaust manifolds, but removed them as they didn't seem to fit the smooth lines of the beast. More progress shots later today if I get a chance to go down to the shop.

Lou

lastvautour

Latest development of my Flight of Fancy Mk III with the addition of winglets and a under nose carburetor scoop. I am also trialing gloss coats as I want to leave it in natural wood with some red details on the fins and winglets.

Lou

lastvautour

Marking will be skimpy with a few decals to dress it up. The winglets and rudder will each have the appropriate flashes in/out and top/bottom. I chose CF-SMM as a registration number. Large one will be under the port wing as read from the rear and the other two smaller ones will either be at the bottom base of the rudders or just forward of them on the fuselage.

Lou

Gearup

I like the look of the winglets. The head rest is a nice touch as well. I've got the wing on and v fins ready. Working on the cockpit and canopy.

Fraser